Upgrading office workstation to Win 7, is a 7300GT enough for Areo?

I'm upgrading my office workstation from Windows XP to Windows 7 64 in the next two weeks.

The system is:

Dell desktop system (Can't remember model off the top of my head)
Core2Duo @2.4ghz
4GB RAM
Nvidia GT 7300 PCI-E
Samsung 244T display (1920x1200)

Its currently running Windows XP. Over the next few weeks we will (finally!) be getting some Windows 7 licenses.

Is the video card enough to run Windows Areo effects (e.g. flip3d)? If not, recommendations on an upgrade? I believe the PSU doesn't have any additional PCI-E power, so it would have to fit within the power budget offered by PCI-E 1.0.

Aero only uses SM2.0 (DX9) and requires a WDDM driver (7300GT has that available). The minimum local memory required is 128MB IIRC, but it can run on IGPs too.

Yes, it will work fine.

Aero only uses SM2.0 (DX9) and requires a WDDM driver (7300GT has that available). The minimum local memory required is 128MB IIRC, but it can run on IGPs too.

Yes, it will work fine.

I ran Aero (Vista and 7) on a 64MB Radeon Mobility X1300 w/64MB of local memory just fine. It even was okay with 1680x1050. The 7300GT will be sufficient.

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to finally moving my last system that I use every day off of XP.

Back