Upgrading OEM office

Phandalyon

One of my coworkers just went over to Office Depot to grab an Office 2003 Upgrade. They told her that if the original installation of office (in this case Office 2000) is an OEM copy then the upgrade will not work. She would have to buy the full version. I can't find any info on MS' website about this upgrade issue nor does a google search turn anything up. I always buy ful versions of software, but she wants to save money if possible. Her version of office 2000 came with her Dell laptop.

Anyone ever hear of this or know where I can find out upgrade information from Microsoft on this topic?

Bought a Gateway computer in 97, at that time I bought the Small Business Edition Office 97, it is marked for distribution with new pcs only. This past spring I upgraded to Professional Edition 2003. I did buy the upgrade and it did work without a problem.

Phandalyon said:
One of my coworkers just went over to Office Depot to grab an Office 2003 Upgrade. They told her that if the original installation of office (in this case Office 2000) is an OEM copy then the upgrade will not work. She would have to buy the full version. I can't find any info on MS' website about this upgrade issue nor does a google search turn anything up. I always buy ful versions of software, but she wants to save money if possible. Her version of office 2000 came with her Dell laptop.

Anyone ever hear of this or know where I can find out upgrade information from Microsoft on this topic?

Office Depot is full of crap!

You can use the Office 2003 upgrade to upgrade a prior OEM version.

Thats what I thought. I just wanted to make sure before I told her to buy it because if she opens the package she can not return it. So better safe than sorry.

Back