Upgrading NVMe in Laptop

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
I bought a laptop and want to take out the 256 GB NVMe drive and install a 1TB drive. What is the easiest way to clone the SSD and is it recommend that I clone it?

Pretty much depends on the M.2 drive you are gonna be using as most come with either a cloning software link, or key to download it and install on the computer/laptop that you are going to be cloning. I'll tell you what though, I have been using acronis true image forever, and although it has had some rough patches, it has pretty much remained on top of the paid programs to do it all in one program. I use the bootable image when I have issues with MBR partitioned drives being converted to GPT,(Main boot drive has windows 10 and a GPT drive but what you are cloning doesn't) but other than that, it pretty much is plug and play easy.

The tricky part is how to physically do it. SATA ssd to NVME is easy with a USB SATA enclosure but I'm curious how those are doing NVME to NVME.

The tricky part is how to physically do it. SATA ssd to NVME is easy with a USB SATA enclosure but I'm curious how those are doing NVME to NVME.

There are USB to nvme adapters/enclosures out there so it should be a pretty simple task to do the cloning.

If you don't want to get an adapter, you can image the drive to an external USB drive. Then, swap the m.2 drives, and lay the image down on the 1 TB.

Back