• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrading next month...

fishoil

n00b
Joined
Aug 11, 2010
Messages
47
Thinking about going with this CPU.

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ntel-_-19115070&AID=10440897&PID=3962334&SID=

Looking for suggestions on a motherboard and ram. Possibly a video card as well. Right now I have a 9800GTX+ but if I have the extra cash I'll upgrade that as well.

My budget is $1300.

Guess I should mention that I will be gaming on this computer.
 
Last edited:
I'll keep my PSU and case.
Corsair AX750 and a cooler master 830.

I'll be replacing the motherboard, cpu, and ram.
 
With that kind of budget you'd better wait til Q3 2011 when socket 2011 comes out and we see what SB can really do.
 
I'll keep my PSU and case.
Corsair AX750 and a cooler master 830.

I'll be replacing the motherboard, cpu, and ram.

I bought a 2600k, Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard, and 8GB of 1333 for under $600 (before shipping and taxes). And that's Canadian pricing. You've got a lot of room on your budget for a Sandy Bridge upgrade. :)
 
I bought a 2600k, Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard, and 8GB of 1333 for under $600 (before shipping and taxes). And that's Canadian pricing. You've got a lot of room on your budget for a Sandy Bridge upgrade. :)

How much would that upgrade cost? :)
 
can probably just go 2500K if you just want game on it, not a big difference in FPS between the two CPUs in most games.
 
can probably just go 2500K if you just want game on it, not a big difference in FPS between the two CPUs in most games.

Yeah, probably not worth the extra $100 for gaming (if I had to do it again I'd probably go with the 2500K myself). I'd recommend either the Gigabyte P67A-UD4 or the Asus P8P67 Pro as two sweet spot motherboards. Pick up a decent8 GB set of DDR3-1600 RAM and you are set.
 
Code:
ASUS P8P67  Pro                   $190
i5-2500k                          $224
8 GB RAM                        < $100 (see hot deals forum) 
Radeon 6950                       $300
Crucial C300 128GB SSD            $265  (C400 coming soon)
Fancy CPU cooler                  $80

Around $1060 not including tax/shipping - plus you can get RAM way cheaper AR.

Screaming fast system.
 
Code:
ASUS P8P67  Pro                   $190
i5-2500k                          $224
8 GB RAM                        < $100 (see hot deals forum) 
Radeon 6950                       $300
Crucial C300 128GB SSD            $265  (C400 coming soon)
Fancy CPU cooler                  $80

Around $1060 not including tax/shipping - plus you can get RAM way cheaper AR.

Screaming fast system.

You could go with something like the Hyper 212+ and save $50.
 
I also am thinking of upgrading my dual core system and primarly use it for gaming.
Seen stated a few times that the 2500K is just as good as the 2600K... for gaming.

What additional benefits are gained from the 2600K, if you are using it for things other than gaming?
 
Back
Top