Upgrading need advice

war_child

Limp Gawd
I haven't been following all the motherboard and video card changes in over 4 to 6 months. Anyways, my son's computer went out and was looking at giving him my old system once i upgrade. Here's what i would need in order to rebuild his. Keep in mind he would get my old parts in my sig..Not bad I guess.

1. Video card = I would like to stay with ATI

2. Motherboard = I have an MSI now, i would like to stick to MSI..ASUS...DFI I like the idea of SLI but don't think i can afford $800 in video cards. Maybe a motherboard with SLI and i could buy another video card later when the moons align.

3. CPU = See sig for what i have now = Would like the dual core

budget is around 500 -700

war_child said:
I haven't been following all the motherboard and video card changes in over 4 to 6 months. Anyways, my son's computer went out and was looking at giving him my old system once i upgrade. Here's what i would need in order to rebuild his. Keep in mind he would get my old parts in my sig..Not bad I guess.

2. Motherboard = I have an MSI now, i would like to stick to MSI..ASUS...DFI I like the idea of SLI but don't think i can afford $800 in video cards. Maybe a motherboard with SLI and i could buy another video card later when the moons align.

May I ask you what you paid for the x800 XT-PE you have now? I ask this because you have one of the best AGP cards ever made. If you wanted the best PCI card made today that would be the 512MB 7800 GTX, but the cost of that card is $650-799!! Likewise, if you wanted the best from ATI today that would be the x1800 XT and if you can find the card it's about $550+. With your current budget may I suggest the evga motherboard and card combo?
http://www.evga.com/articles/public.asp?AID=258

Then just add the cpu you like and you're good to go. My .02.

acroig said:
May I ask you what you paid for the x800 XT-PE you have now? I ask this because you have one of the best AGP cards ever made. If you wanted the best PCI card made today that would be the 512MB 7800 GTX, but the cost of that card is $650-799!! Likewise, if you wanted the best from ATI today that would be the x1800 XT and if you can find the card it's about $550+. With your current budget may I suggest the evga motherboard and card combo?
http://www.evga.com/articles/public.asp?AID=258

Then just add the cpu you like and you're good to go. My .02.

I paid something like 425.00, I was one of the folks in TX who got one from CompUSA. There was something like 125 cards, shipped to TX. That's when the whole ATI mess started. It's been the best card I've ever had. :) Runs everything great except Fear, which i don't care to much about.

Thanks for the link

war_child said:
If you want to stay with ATI, I would recommend an X800XT, or perhaps a 9800XT. You could also CrossFire these if you decide to get a CrossFire-compatible board.

If you want SLI, then you want to go nVidia. Then later on down the road get a second nVidia. I'm sure you know the 7800GT(X) is all the rave nowadays. I would also highly recommend an ASUS motherboard, I have not had one single problem with them. Gigabyte also makes a decent board as well.

AMD X2 sounds about right if you want to go dual-core. Although I would be sure to do your research first.

NewEgg is your friend ;)

JSClark said:
If you want to stay with ATI, I would recommend an X800XT, or perhaps a 9800XT. You could also CrossFire these if you decide to get a CrossFire-compatible board.

If you want SLI, then you want to go nVidia. Then later on down the road get a second nVidia. I'm sure you know the 7800GT(X) is all the rave nowadays. I would also highly recommend an ASUS motherboard, I have not had one single problem with them. Gigabyte also makes a decent board as well.

AMD X2 sounds about right if you want to go dual-core. Although I would be sure to do your research first.

NewEgg is your friend ;)

Why would you recommend an x800 XT when he already has an XT-PE? The 9800 is even slower than what he has! I put the link to the evga bundle since I'm sure he needs to upgrade his mobo and this gives him an SLI mobo for free! I have that same board with a GTX and I love it so far. Not the best, but not bad at all for free. ;)

Back