Upgrading NAS/Plex/DB server

Trimlock

[H]F Junkie
My server is running many services for me, none of which are super demanding except for Plex (which almost never sees 2 steams let alone 3). I've been thinking of upgrading but I've been finicky mainly because I'm worried I'll spend more than I need to getting this thing ready for the future.

The Egg has a HPProliant ML10 for sale at $220.

Would it make much sense for me to buy this, gut the MB/CPU and add in a card that supports JBOD? I'll be adding it to my tower which already houses multiple HDD's.

I have a few other options but this seems really really cheap.

Sounds like a great option to me. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the ML10 uses a standard ATX 24-pin power supply so you wouldn't need an adapter like the TS140. I might pick one of these up myself. I wish they made them taller so they would fit my universal rack mounts.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great option to me. I can't tell for sure, but I looks like the ML10 uses a standard ATX 24-pin power supply so you wouldn't need an adapter like the TS140. I might pick one of these up myself. I wish they made them taller so they would fit my universal rack mounts.

Thank you for the quick reply. That was one of my worries, the PSU seems decent as a backup, I like stacking useful PSU's for back ups.

All I would need is to grab some memory and a decent HBA that supports 3tb+ drives.

Thank you for the quick reply. That was one of my worries, the PSU seems decent as a backup, I like stacking useful PSU's for back ups.

All I would need is to grab some memory and a decent HBA that supports 3tb+ drives.
Send me a PM if you're interested in some used DDR3 ECC. For a HBA, I'm sure you know about the M1015, hard to beat for the price.

Send me a PM if you're interested in some used DDR3 ECC. For a HBA, I'm sure you know about the M1015, hard to beat for the price.

Yes I know, thank you for the heads up and will do about the memory.

Back