upgrading my SSD and windows 7

crb806

Weaksauce
I currently have a 128gb SSD with Windows 7 installed and I plan to upgrade my SSD to a new 1TB samsung EVO and upgrade my OS to Windows 8. Can I just power down my system and remove the old SSD and install the new one and boot up and proceed with install as if it is a fresh new build?

This build is an Intel 3930K with a GIGABYTE X79 LGA 2011 UD3 motherboard. Any thing else I should watch out for?

What are you thinking might be a problem? I just upgraded from an ADATA S599 64GB SSD / Samsung F4 2TB to a Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD / Hitachi Deskstar NAS 4TB and everything went smoothly. I simply: 1. removed the old drives, 2. placed the new drives, 3. installed a fresh copy of Windows on the SSD. Things are great now!

Which specific SSD are you using? How close to full capacity is it?

Which edition of Windows 7 are you using? (I assume that you're using the 64-bit version, so there's no need to tell me that.)

I currently have a 128gb SSD with Windows 7 installed and I plan to upgrade my SSD to a new 1TB samsung EVO and upgrade my OS to Windows 8. Can I just power down my system and remove the old SSD and install the new one and boot up and proceed with install as if it is a fresh new build?

This build is an Intel 3930K with a GIGABYTE X79 LGA 2011 UD3 motherboard. Any thing else I should watch out for?
You should be able to do just as you suggest. Just make sure you are in AHCI mode. You may also want to consider switching to UEFI boot (GPT disk) for enhanced reliability.

Back