• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrading my E6400

Bomo

Gawd
Joined
Mar 9, 2010
Messages
902
Currently running the system in my signature. I don't have a whole lot of a budget for right now but I'm getting the upgrade itch. I'm planning on moving up to 4gb DDR2 pretty soon and I see my CPU as being the next bottleneck to over come. I don't want to upgrade to i7 (or whatever is next) until I've got the cash to really be able to make a system that screams, which won't be for about a year or so.

For the time being, would upgrading to a Q8300 be worth it? It's only around $150 on newegg, which I can swallow pretty easily. Or are there other options I could consider?

If I had to name an exact budget it'd be around $175 before rebate, but I'm a student so saving money is a plus. I just don't want to have to upgrade my motherboard/ram as well since I've already got the 2x2gb sticks on the way.
 
You have to make sure you have an updated bios and that your motherboard supports Penryn quad like the Q8300. If you have a microcenter nearby you can get a Q9550 for $180.,
 
I'm currently using a Biostar G31-M7 TE version 6.4 (I think, i could be 6.5 I don't remember off the top of my head).

I couldn't find anything that suggested against it being able to run Penryn. I don't have a microcenter anywhere near where I live. Given this, would I be better off finding a Q6600 used or the Q8300?
 
You are probably better off with Q6600. IT will probably be supported as Q6600 is based on the core 2.

Q8300 is gimped with small cache and I heard it doesn't overclock as good.
 
Coolness, thanks a bunch. I'll start shopping around for a good deal then.
 
The Q6600 is a great chip. If your board supports it, you won't be disappointed. Not sure if you can still buy them new but you can find them used for around $100 (at least that's what I sold mine for).
 
Back
Top