• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrading my all purpose desktop.

Joined
May 26, 2017
Messages
1
I have an all purpose pc that I'd like update.
Current specs - i3 2100 || Biostar H61 mobo || 2x4gb 1333 || HR02 Macho || CX430 || HD6450 || 2 X WD Green 1Tb in Raid1|| HAF 912.
The desktop has been used for usual Internet stuff, with my kids playing kids webpage based games (kizi.com I think). I just found out that my son (11) has a steam account (plays at his mom's). Besides I'm going to be using this PC for more if I'm hired into the job I'm trying for (citric client, excel, PowerPoint, project etc). This PC is also going to close enough to my gaming pc that I could probably use it as a streaming pc to allow better performance on my gaming Rig (used mainly for iracing) and also use it to work on videos for YouTube.

My plan was to get an i5 2400 or 2500 (non K), a gtx 660ti and a 250gb ssd for boot (all used). The system is currently hooked up to a 720p TV, though i plan to use two 1920x1200 monitors (from my gaming pc) on it once i start using it for work. After watching some YouTube videos, I became interested in the Xeon E5-2670 which is going used for about the same price. It also has about the same clock speed with twice the number of cores plus hyperthreading. The only caveat is that the X79 motherboards are pricey and hard to find.

What do you guys suggest? I wouldn't mind spending additional for the motherboard if it's justified/justifiable. I'm looking to make some purchases (initial, maybe). Should I "Xeon" my rig and finish my upgrade in a bit (over time on next paycheck), or stick with Sandy?
 
What's the overall budget for this build?

When are you planning to buy a new monitors?

(With two monitors, for gaming and streaming, you may want to consider a stronger processor, like the i7-2700 non-K, and a better video card, possibly a card in the GTX 9-series. Hell, given how old Sandy Bridge is, you may find a K processor for around the same price as a non-K processor.)
 
Back
Top