• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrading my 9600 gt

diesavagenation

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 10, 2008
Messages
166
I was looking into a card around $100 to upgrade my 9600 gt with. Should I go with a single ATI Radeon 4850 1 gig for $99 or can you guys think of a better card for around $100?
 
what games do you play and what resolution do you use?

$100 isn't much but the 4850 is usually the best buy in that price range.
 
I have a 1080P 23 " monitor I play on. I would be happy playing Splinter Cell Conviction and Crysis at full resolution with decent settings.
 
Are you open to a used card? If so, check on the FS/FT forums. I found a great deal on a GTX275.
 
You can usually find a good deal on a gtx 260 or 275 used.
Too bad you can't go higher than $100 or I'd say that the 5770 or the GTX 460 are both worth a look.
 
The HD5770 would be a good upgrade if you can stretch your budget.
 
Used is always a good option, you can get nice parts for cheap.

The 5770 for $115 looks like a good deal too
 
a used gtx 260 can be a good card but the problem is they usually sell for $130 and up. You can buy a $130 (after bing cashback) 1GB 5770 almost anyday on Tigerdirect.
 
yeah I saw that 5770 but its a 512mb... do you think that would make a huge difference compared to the 1 gig version? I can't find any reviews for a 512mb 5770.
 
Yeah, the extra vram would be useful then. I'd consider saving up a bit more than 100-130.
 
I went from a 9600GT to a 4850 and at 1680x1050, I can max out nearly all my games. 1920x1080 would be a stretch tho. You could definitely get decent framerates but you'd have to turn down some settings.

4870's are hovering around $135 these days and would be the cheapest upgrade.
 
I think the OP should get an open box hd5830 for about $160 or save up for a new one.
 
yeah I saw that 5770 but its a 512mb... do you think that would make a huge difference compared to the 1 gig version? I can't find any reviews for a 512mb 5770.


for a $5 difference, get the 1GB 5770

or you can wait a little while longer. The 5770 is still selling for almost full retail 9 months after launch. It should drop soon, esp with the new Nvidia cards. Bing cashback is good till the end of July so I would wait a little bit longer just to see...
 
Back
Top