• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrading Mac Pro HDD to SSD

x3nzox

Weaksauce
Joined
May 12, 2014
Messages
79
Installing Mac OS on new SSD. Will apps like Microsoft Office disappear? How can complete this process without Cloning?
 
I am really not sure what sort of answer you're expecting. It's an HD... and you're replacing it with another HD. Data does not magically re-appear on one device to another. If it did, then why would anyone need an HD at all? It would just be magically there wouldn't it?

If it's something you purchased, you're going to have to reinstall it. It's really as simple as that. Cloning is a "shortcut". One that I personally never do, although I "get" why people do it. However, even reinstalling everything from a fully reformatted state only takes 3-4 hours. Microsoft has a "store". If you purchased it digitally it will be as simple as entering in your information and getting it again. If you have it in DVD form, then that would be your method.
 
What I meant to ask is, how can obtain the serial number to be entered when installing the Microsoft office programs. I want to make sure Microsoft word can be used before I try to upgrade.

I would prefer a new installation instead of cloning.
 
If you've purchased a legal copy then that would be where you obtained your serial number from. If it's digital from Microsoft, then like many other companies, you'd have an account making management easier. If it was a physical copy, you'll have to track down the physical copy.

There is no change on how you'd go about this versus any other platform.

If you're "asking without asking" about how to somehow extract the serial number from your currently installed installation, there isn't a method for doing so. With the probable notable exception of some sort of illegal method.
 
Last edited:
This was an Office 2011 education version preinstalled by Apple. I am having a hard time locating the serial number, Only the product ID, which is not the same.

If I use Time Machine and back up data files on an external HDD, would it be easier?

Is there a difference in performance vs a fresh install.
 
Last edited:
This was an Office 2011 education version preinstalled by Apple. I am having a hard time locating the serial number, Only the product ID, which is not the same.

If I use Time Machine and back up data files on an external HDD, would it be easier?

Is there a difference in performance vs a fresh install.

Restoring from time machine will put the apps back but wont transfer the license key. Check all your emails and look at your original packaging for the system.
 
I am really not sure what sort of answer you're expecting. It's an HD... and you're replacing it with another HD. Data does not magically re-appear on one device to another. If it did, then why would anyone need an HD at all? It would just be magically there wouldn't it?
i have to admit, this cracked me up!

OP, you could also probably call Apple and get the serial number from them. I'd be surprised if they didn't have it.
 
i have to admit, this cracked me up!

You have to admit that with the way the question was worded it was ambiguous at best and perplexing at worst. I try to be as helpful as I can be as opposed to flaming away, but I will admit that I was having trouble... in the sense that what I said could "sound" sarcastic even though it wasn't.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Yakk
like this
Use Time Machine, or clean install + Migration Assistant. It will preserve everything.
 
Just clone it.

++

Just download Carbon Copy Cloner and be done with it. Easy as can be in OS X. If for some reason you don't like that then boot to the recovery partition on the SSD and reinstall.
 
Back
Top