Upgrading iBook HD

Outrager

Gawd
Before I bought my G4 iBook, I read (or misread) that you can upgrade the iBook's HD and that it's a user upgradeable part so it wouldn't void the warranty. Now I read that it will void the warranty, is really hard to do, and even most Apple repair places won't do it for you.
So is it possible to upgrade the G4 iBook's HD without voiding the warranty? And if possible, a way to do it yourself or at least for a very low fee without voiding the warranty?

Outrager said:
Before I bought my G4 iBook, I read (or misread) that you can upgrade the iBook's HD and that it's a user upgradeable part so it wouldn't void the warranty. Now I read that it will void the warranty, is really hard to do, and even most Apple repair places won't do it for you.
So is it possible to upgrade the G4 iBook's HD without voiding the warranty? And if possible, a way to do it yourself or at least for a very low fee without voiding the warranty?
Where did you read that? That is not the case, because it does in fact void your warranty.

Other than having it damaged, or risk voiding it - there is no way.

well technically you can swap out the HD and not void the warranty BUT the warranty will not cover ANY damage caused by the install of that part or the part it's self...what that means is if you break it you will be paying us to repair it and it will not be cheap

Get some place like CompUSA or any other place that does mac warranty work to do it. As gigglebyte said apple will not warranty the new drive but they should not have a prob if it was done by an apple repair shop and thats not why your computer is messing up.

I'm not sure what other places do, but our shop charges 40 for a harddrive install like that.

I would not recommend doing it yourself, that bottom case is not easy to get off at all if you don't know what you are doing.

Back