• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrading i7 System slightly.

DD_nVidia

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 15, 2009
Messages
177
Just looking to add some bits and pieces. Waiting till there is a revision of the high end Fermi chips. The GF104 looks promising so hoping they get working on the GTX480 successor.

Basically, just looking to do the following, in order of importance:

- Overclock the i7 to 3.6GHz+
- Add more storage
- Add more RAM


My main use for the system is editing photos from a 5DMkII in Photoshop and Lightroom. Some graphic design in Photoshop, occasionally gaming, will do much more one I have a better GPU in the future. I'll also be getting rid of my 2nd GPU once I have a GPU than has 3 or more outputs so that will free up a PCI-E 16x slot.

Here is my shopping list:

- Noctua DH-14 - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Noctua-NH-D14-Dual-Radiator-and-Fan-Quiet-CPU-Cooler
- 2 x Samsung F3 1TB - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ss1T...3-SATA-3Gb-s-7200rpm-32MB-Cache-89-ms-NCQ-OEM
- 3 x 2GB OCZ 1333MHz Triple Channel i7 Kit.
- Icy Box IB-555SK - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Icy-Box-IB-555SK-for-5x-35-SATA-SAS-HDD-Backplane-into-3x-525-bays
- Lycom PE-103 x2 Port SATAII PCI-E controller Card - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Lyco...s-PCI-E-Controller-Card-with-NCQ-PC-MAC-Linux



Some quick things to ask:

- Will the Noctua DH-14 clear the ram and heatsinks on a ASUS P6T Workstation Professional?

- I want to replace the Noctua stock fans with black or ones with blue LED's. Noise doesn't concern me. Any suggestions for the 140 and 120 fans?

- I'm looking to get Samsung F3's 1TB's since its what I already have any they are plenty fast and I trust them. These extra drives are just going to be for movie and tv season storage, so lower speed drives would be fine but I'm not sure about the 1.5-2TB drives - do these drives have any problem working with RAID cards or controller cards for 8+ drives as I may get one in the future (1-1.5years) to use in a Norco 4220 style case on a different pc.

- Will having 6 x 2GB sticks effect overclocking lots? The ram is this: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152747.

- For the controller card, I have a single accessable PCI, PCI-X and PCI-E slot, so any card able to work on either of those is fine if you have a better suggestion.



Any suggestions, could the items suggested please be linked from UK stores if you have the time? It'd be a great help. I don't mind ordering from different places as long as the postage isn't crazy. If it's free I don't mind waiting.



[B]Current Specs:[/B]

Case - Thermaltake Armour Full Tower w/Side Window
Power Supply - Unknown 800W [Can't Remember Brand ATM]
Case Fans - 3 x 120mm front in-take, 1 x 92mm top out-take, 1 x 92mm rear out-take, 1 x 120mm rear out-take
Motherboard - ASUS P6T Workstation Professional
Processor - Intel Core i7 920 D0
CPU HSF - Intel Stock
Memory - 6GB OCZ 1333MHz CL7 (3x2GB)
Hard Drive - 2 x 74GB 15,500RPM SAS Seagate Cheetah (HW RAID 0) - 4 x 1TB Samsung F3, 1 x 1TB Samsung F1
Optical Disc Drive - Pioneer 16x DVD/RW
Video Cards - NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 640Mbit 320bit bus (G80 core), NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT 512MB (G86 core?)
Sound Card - Onboard HD Audio
Additional Cards - None
Miscellaneous - None

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
Some quick things to ask:

- Will the Noctua DH-14 clear the ram and heatsinks on a ASUS P6T Workstation Professional?

- I want to replace the Noctua stock fans with black or ones with blue LED's. Noise doesn't concern me. Any suggestions for the 140 and 120 fans?

- I'm looking to get Samsung F3's 1TB's since its what I already have any they are plenty fast and I trust them. These extra drives are just going to be for movie and tv season storage, so lower speed drives would be fine but I'm not sure about the 1.5-2TB drives - do these drives have any problem working with RAID cards or controller cards for 8+ drives as I may get one in the future (1-1.5years) to use in a Norco 4220 style case on a different pc.

- Will having 6 x 2GB sticks effect overclocking lots? The ram is this: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152747.

- For the controller card, I have a single accessable PCI, PCI-X and PCI-E slot, so any card able to work on either of those is fine if you have a better suggestion.

1) Yes
2) Was always a fan of Nexus and Yateloon fans
3) Samsung and Hitachi non-green 1.5TB and 2TB drives work just fine with most RAID cards. It's Seagate and WD that have compatibility issues with certain RAID cards.
4) Yes having all six RAM slots filled will affect your OC. As to how bad of an effect it is, that's pretty much very varied. It can be as little as a 400Mhz lower OC or as high as a 1GHz lower OC.
5) Just make sure that the Lycom has Windows 7 64bit drivers.
 
1) Great :D

2) Any idea of where to get them in the UK? I found a Scythe 140 rounded fan but the 1900rpm one isn't avaliable any more, I think its because the Slip Stream is replacing the Kaze Maru or something. Basically I'm looking for as much CFM as possible. If the noise is too much i'll use resistors. Also any with blue LED's would be nice, if there isn't any in the 140's rounded its cool.

3) Cool I might go for a 1.5 or 2TB samsung 5,400RPM drive in that case.

4) Awh dang. So 3 x 4GB sticks is what I should look for? I'm guessing prices are gonna be high >_<

5) I will do, not looking for speed out of it, since its gonna be for the movie and movie backup drives.
 
..
2) Any idea of where to get them in the UK?

4) Awh dang. So 3 x 4GB sticks is what I should look for? I'm guessing prices are gonna be high >_<
.
2) No

4) Yes prices will be high for 4GB sticks. However, a small 3.6Ghz OC should still be doable with 6 x 2GB.
 
2) Bugger haha. I'll keep looking.

4) Hmm. I might leave the ram a bit then. Besides, prices here seem high. I don't think i even paid £160 for my ram when I got it in Feb 09 Would 6x2GB 1667Mhz sticks OC better than 1333Mhz ones ? If so, how much? (or is it just sort of luck of the draw?)
 
2) Bugger haha. I'll keep looking.

4) Hmm. I might leave the ram a bit then. Besides, prices here seem high. I don't think i even paid £160 for my ram when I got it in Feb 09 Would 6x2GB 1667Mhz sticks OC better than 1333Mhz ones ? If so, how much? (or is it just sort of luck of the draw?)

6 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM would allow for a higher CPU OC than DDR3 1333 RAM IIRC. As for the RAM itself and its overclock capabilities, that's sort of luck of the draw.
 
Ah well, I'll leave the RAM for the moment, I'm only occasionally maxing it out anyway so I think I'll benefit more from the higher CPU OC just now.

Thanks for the help so far :)

Some of my shopping is just to tidy up my case a bit, extensions and stuff so I can run cables out of sight :)


Shopping From scan.co.uk

LN22440 - Sharkoon 12" Blue CCFL 4in1 Kit (x4 CCFL Tubes + dual Inverter + adhesive Velcro strips) - £6.99 - £8.21

LN27712 - Icy Box IB-555SK for 5x 3.5" SATA/SAS HDD Backplane into 3x 5.25" bays - £84.99 - £99.86

LN27721 - Scan RB-413 SATA 15 Pin to 4 Pin Molex Gender Changer (converts sata power to molex power Cable) - £10.43 - £12.26

LN30100 - Noctua NH-D14 Dual Radiator and Fan Quiet CPU Cooler - £51.86 - £60.94

LN32877 - NZXT CB-44SATA Black Braid sleeved Molex to 4 SATA Cable 200mm - £6.89 - £8.10

LN33894 - 90CM STRAIGHT - STRAIGHT SATA I/II DATA CABLE WITH LOCKING LATCHES - £7.36 - £8.65

Total incl. delivery = £206.23



Shopping From Quietpc.com (uk)

EXT-08 8pin to 4+4pin ATX/EPS 30cm Extension Cable - £3.40
EXT-24 30cm Extension Cable for 20+4 pin with Black Mesh - £4.25
Slip Stream 140mm fan 1200 RPM, SM1425SL12M - £8.50
CA-4000 Professional Grade Air Duster, 400ml - £6.08
Kaze Jyuni 1900RPM Slip Stream 120mm Fan - £7.65

Total Incl VAT + delivery = £42.95


Total = £249.18
 
Back
Top