upgrading...hit a wall

jsn117

Limp Gawd
I rehauled everything recently, but here's my problem:

mobo will power up with just the PSU's main power connector, but when I plug everything else in it will spin the fans for a split second, then shut off.

This is a 480w PSU, and my system is pretty basic. can anyone help?

Are one of the molex's possibly wired wrong? Have you sleeved the psu?

my guess would be power supply, although those antecs are supposed to be really well built.

Why is there a gap between "plugging in just the board" and "plugging in everything else?"

Did we miss something? ;)

In troubleshooting, you should plug in things one at a time until you can duplicate the issue. :D

If it refuses to post when you plug a particular drive in, try unplugging that drive's data cable and leave just power plugged in and see if you can duplicate the issue.

jonnyGURU said:
Why is there a gap between "plugging in just the board" and "plugging in everything else?"

Did we miss something? ;)

In troubleshooting, you should plug in things one at a time until you can duplicate the issue. :D

If it refuses to post when you plug a particular drive in, try unplugging that drive's data cable and leave just power plugged in and see if you can duplicate the issue.

I've got it down to the floppy drive...can it alone short out my whole system?

Did you take out the PSU and wait for ten minutes? It's just shorting out somewhere, like someone said earlier just put them in one by one till you hit the problem again. You most likely have a shorted out molex.

It's much more likely the board is shorting against the case. Ensure you didn't put in any standoffs that don't match the holes in the board. Test it outside the case on the motherboard's box or a wooden table or glass table or something to ensure it's not shorting. Then boot it up.

jsn117 said:
Yes, a short anywhere will cause your PSU to go into protection mode. Thats the reason i avoid 3-4 pin adaptors with exposed pins.

and FDD are notorious, it could be as simple as the cable being incorrectly attached

jsn117 said:

Absolutely.

Now try it without the data cable. Still nothing? Do you have a differentpower connector to hook it up to? How about another floppy drive?

jonnyGURU said:
Absolutely.

Now try it without the data cable. Still nothing? Do you have a differentpower connector to hook it up to? How about another floppy drive?

so the 3 mobo RMAs to new egg were because of a fucking floppy drive...gah

jsn117 said:
so the 3 mobo RMAs to new egg were because of a fucking floppy drive...gah

<RANT>

When I worked RMA, you would've been my worst nightmare.

Then again, at TCWO we actually tested most of our returns. Your motherboard would've been sent back to you.

Which you could say would suck... getting a "used" board back that you're almost positive is defective, but if someone else tested your motherboard and said it was good, it would have at least FORCED you to look elsewhere for the source of your problem. At the very least, you would have called me back when you got the board back with a little note on the packing slip, or at least emailed me, and I would have walked you through troubleshooting the problem.

Of course, good support costs money. TCWO went out of busines two years ago. Then again, throwing away perfectly good motherboards because customers assume that their defective costs money too (when you factor is the manpower to RMA and RTV the board and then shipping to you and back to the vendor, you've completely lost money on the product ten fold,) which is why over the past two years that TCWO has been out of the game, Newegg's prices have gone up to the point where they're no longer as cheap as they were when they were king and putting everyone else out of business.

</RANT>

Not trying to put you down or anything. Just that I no longer work in the PC industry and I'm a little bitter. I thought I'd put things in percpective for you folks. ;)

jonnyGURU said:
<RANT>
When I worked RMA, you would've been my worst nightmare.
</RANT>

nope that would have been me :p
we all gotta start somewhere
I built my very 1st computer

1st try incompatible RAM (my fault)
(which tested out in the only PC2100 mobo I had available to crosspart to)
returned board (ate the shiping & paid for crosspart testing)

2nd try same incompatible RAM (my fault)
returned board (ate the shiping & paid for crosspart testing)
company wouldnt sell me a different board had to contact Iwill directly andf they hooked me up with a new vendor

3rd try new incompatible RAM (on the recommended list) ate the deflated cost of the old RAM (which was substantial)
then returned board (ate the shiping & paid for crosspart testing)
sent it to Iwill where they determined that while the RAM should be compatible it wasnt.
ate the shipping again.

4th try same mobo new compatible RAM, everything worked fine
inly somewhere down the line my CPU magically changed from a Tbird 1.2GHz C (266MHz) to an AMD 1.2GHz B (200MHz) :rolleyes:
4 months later the board died (KA266R)
(and I elected not to replace it with a new mobo w\ the same onboard RAID controller and wrote off the RAID0 array)

Next Up I bought an Abit KR7A from a fly by night reseller, board died very quickly (hung BIOS)
returned the board only to never recieve a replacement since the FBI was all over them and they where crooks, Replaced it with another that Im actually typing from today :p
I subsequently got very serious about the ability to crosspart

and that would go a long way towards explaining my proclivity towards researching indepth, crossparting methodology and reliability factors (ESD & Electrimigration, thermal solutions, Power ect :p

in the pther hand Ive never lost a HDD

did
I did suck :p

being an early adopter of DDR didnt help the situation
the KA266R was RAM picky the only other board out was an Asus at the time
(which was what was getting crossparted to) and would run almost anything

Back