Upgrading from Windows XP OEM to Windows 7 retail

da233

Limp Gawd
I know that you're only allowed to install XP OEM on one computer, but if I upgrade it to a retail Windows 7, will my license no longer be considered OEM? And would I be able to install it on another computer if my main computer would ever die or need an upgrade that more or less would make it a new computer?

this depends on what kind of license you have for Win7.
Do you have a full retail Win7 key, or an upgrade license for Win7?

If your Win7 license is a full retail, then it's not technically an upgrade, since it does not require a previous version of Windows.

If your Win7 license is an upgrade version, then no, you cannot re-use the XP license, since it's required for the Win7 upgrade.

I'm talking about upgrade versions.

Yes, I know that my XP license will be invalidated once I upgrade it, but my question is, what if I upgrade my computer and need to reinstall Windows 7. I would need to install XP first but since the license is invalidated, will I just be able to do a clean install from the Windows 7 upgrade disk?

Most importantly, does the fact that the Windows XP is an OEM version affect anything at all on my limitations of installing and reinstalling Windows 7 whenever I need to?

there's threads floating around about whether or not Win7 upgrade disc can install without a previous OS on the system. I can't remember off the top of my head.

But if you end up needing to reinstall XP for whatever reason, you should be able to activate. If it fails activation, all you would need to do is call MS and they would be able to get it squared away.

And no, the fact that XP was an OEM should not create any limitations on installing or reinstalling 7.

Here's the correct answer:

If you use a retail upgrade pack/key to upgrade an XP OEM license then the resulting installation is licensed under the same conditions as the qualifying license was. In other words, it's tied to one machine only for the lifetime of that machine, and cannot be legitimately transferred to another machine.

That's something a lot of people misunderstand. They think that because the upgrade pack is 'retail Windows' that must mean that the license from thence onward will be a retail license. Not true. The Upgrade procedure means that the upgraded license inherits the legal standing, rights and obligation of the qualifying license. Use a retail upgrade pack to upgrade an OEM license and you've still got an OEM license!

That's the legality/technicality of it. Doesn't mean that, in practical terms, you won't be able to install and use it on another machine if you choose to. It just means that, if you choose to, you'll be operating in breach of the license!

Back