• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrading from H67 to H77?

flopticalcube

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 2, 2011
Messages
325
My son will be going to uni this Sept and his 2+yo machine needs a few upgrades. He currently runs a Gigabyte H67 ITX with an i5-2500K, 128GB SSD (OS+games), 2TB Green HDD and GTX 560ti (CLC-cooled) into a 1080p monitor. He would like to have WiFi and BT added and will be looking to upgrade the GPU to a Maxwell unit of similar or lower power consumption.

The cost of a WiFi dongle or router that has half decent (300mbps) speed is about $40 and then another $15 or so for the BT. For another $55 I could get the Gigabyte H77 mobo with WiFi and BT (both of which I know work very well) and he could add SSD caching as well. At the moment, he has to manually administer what is on the SSD and is running near 100GB. I know that the PCI-E 3.0 won't be of use without an IB cpu (would there be any reason to upgrade to IB, I don't see a huge perf gap) but for an upcoming GTX850 or 860 its probably not going to be useful anyhow.

Is it worth changing out the MB for an additional $50 or should I just get a router and BT dongle and live without SSD caching?
 
I'd say stick with what you have, unless you plan to upgrade to an IB.
I personally prefer having an SSD as a "normal" drive over caching. You get to pick exactly what you want on it and what you don't want on it.
 
Yeah... I'm beginning to think its not worth the hassle at this point to pull everything out since it works so well at the moment. Its all stuffed into an SG05 so everything is tight in there. I might add an extra SSD for more storage or create a RAID0 drive to help him along until the new GPUs are out. I'll revist everything else when Skylake arrives.
 
I am actually doing this... great minds, eh! I got a deal on a 256GB SSD so I'm going to move everything over to it and repurpose the 120GB to a small shop computer that I'm piecing together from leftovers.
 
Back
Top