Upgrading from GTX 680 to Titan X, any Precautionary Measures?

BusyBeaverHP

Limp Gawd
Title says it all, I'm upgrading from one NVidia GPU to another, and have the latest drivers. Do I need to take any additional steps to ensure the upgrade is smooth and conflict-free?

What I did was uninstall the driver after I pluged in the TitanX. I am on Win 10 TP.
Some games (FSX, P3D) have a shader folder that needs to be deleted when you swap cards. If you dont play that sort of flight sim, I guess you're fine.
Other than that, make sure you have enough beer and pizza and that the lock on the door holds so no one can bother you while you toy with your new card. :p

Last edited:
Alternatively, you can avoid any potential conflicts and problems by donating the said Titan X to a worthy cause, such as me, that way you avoid all installation problems by avoiding the installation process.

Joking aside, treat the card as you would any other electronic component. Uninstall drivers before removing the card, install the card, reinstall the drivers, and you should be good to go

It's reccomended to reinstall the drivers, but I never do anything with software when installing a GPU. Just run a benchmark and use a FPS counter for a few minutes to make sure it is performing as usual.

I had a piece of shit gigabyte board with a z68 chipset that they just all kinds of fucked up support for and was unable to boot it with the Titan installed. After a motherboard (and CPU) change out it worked fine. YMMV obviously but if Gigabyte was able to fuck up an older board to be unable to work with a more current video card it's not outside the realm of possibility that someone else could too.

Dont tell the wife that once piece of PC hardware is almost a mortgage payment.. :D
In my case, I'd have to not tell her twice :D

s20uae4.jpg

Back