upgrading from FX60?

jcopin

Weaksauce
i have a socket 939 Opetron 165 overclocked to 3.2Ghz with no problems

but i was looking at upgrading to 4GB ram and realized DDR RAM is insanely expensive for 2GB when compared to DDR2

is it really worth it though to upgrade from what essentially is a FX60 cpu? is the difference really worth it to go to a Q6600 ?

anything on the AMD side that compares to the latest intel stuff??

if you are going to upgrade you're ram and cpu you should just buy a new mobo so you can go with DDR2 and Q6600 imo.

If you had 2 more cores and 20% more oomph on each and 4gbs of ram what exactly would you use all that oomph for? Wont help you game any better, wont make desktop stuff any better, will make video encoding and other stuff like that a lot faster. Do you do enough of that type of stuff to make it worth the money? If not then don't kid yourself, you are just upgrading to have a new toy. Once you realize that it makes things easier. Pick whatever looks like it would be the most fun to play with.

If you had 2 more cores and 20% more oomph on each and 4gbs of ram what exactly would you use all that oomph for? Wont help you game any better, wont make desktop stuff any better, will make video encoding and other stuff like that a lot faster. Do you do enough of that type of stuff to make it worth the money? If not then don't kid yourself, you are just upgrading to have a new toy. Once you realize that it makes things easier. Pick whatever looks like it would be the most fun to play with.

I would agree with this. Unless using Vista, there is very, VERY little reason to get 4gb of ram. Vista changes that, of course, but even then - 4gb is so rarely useful, I doubt it would be worth the cost of a whole-system upgrade.

And a Socket 939 AMD CPU with 1mb cache-per-core at 3.2ghz is not going to be easily beat by anything on the market. Given that CPU upgrades usually need a 50% performance boost for you to 'really feel' the difference, there actually ISN'T anything on the market that is a worthy upgrade at stock clocks. Unless, of course, you are doing heavily multithreaded applications (as in, more multithreaded than any game released to date). In such a case, upgrading to Intel Core 2 lets you go quad-core, and there are certainly some chips in that family you would feel a bigger performance jump out of - but, again, only in very few applications.

yea you see thats my dilema.. im not sure moving from a FX60 to a Q6600 would make enough of a difference to justify the expense. I am using Vista home premium and wanted to upgrade to 4GB of ram but saw it was running around 120-150 bucks for 2GB..where as DDR2 was running like 50 bucks for that same capacity..

i do alot of video encoding..well with my tivo..my computer is regularly pulling video off my tivo and encoding it for my ipod

oops .. i wrote 3.2Ghz but its running at 2.8 ..my bad...had 3.2 on the brain for some reason lol. still not sure if a Q6600 would be enough of a jump to upgrade for

Keep your money a little longer and just buy a new system after all the new chipsets(RD790, 780i, X48 and etc.), GPUs (G92,RV670) and CPUs (Penryn, Phenom) are out.

Well, if you would like a good upgrade without getting a CPU or more ram, you might want to consider getting a pair of Raptor HDD's, those should get you the nice boost in speed your looking for if all your doing is Ipod stuff.

Raptors 150GB

One area that could get a 100%+ speed boost would be the Geforce6800GS. Getting an 8800gt would be night and day difference in games.

As far as the quadcore. Yes it would make encoding over twice as fast (if your program supports 4 threads). You could clock yours back to stock (55% slower) and see if you can feel it in day to day use. If going back to your high overclock makes you feel like spending 500+ bucks then maybe the quadcore is worth it to you.

Im not ripping quadcores though. I wouldnt mind having a new setup to play with myself. Been using this x2 since they were released. I know my motherboard, my ram, my chip, all the ways they scale with each setting like the back of my hand. There is no adventure left. "There is no more "maybe I can eek 50mhz out of it today!" because if that was possible I would have done it over a year ago lol.

Honestly, with dual core at 2.8 GHz and 2 GB, I doubt you're going to see any noticeable difference in games from a CPU or RAM upgrade for at least a year. A GPU upgrade is the only thing you're going to notice right now.

thanks guys il hold off

yea i was going to upgrade to a Geforce8800GT .. but im gonna wait for new GPUS to come out so the price drops in half ;p
thanks guys il hold off ..i know there a whole bunch of new chipsets and CPUS due out very soon ..thats quad core will probably be 200 bucks after christmas lol

Back