• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrading from a P4 2.4C

Crimson Tear

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
337
So it's finally time for me to upgrade. Here is my thread in the General Hardware section about my plan.

My question to you is, what processor should I be going for? Xenon 3440, i7 920, or i7 860. I know that the Xenon and 860 are LGA 1156 and the 920 is LGA 1366. What I don't understand are the benefits of each socket or why the i7 core series is split between two sockets.

I'll be using this computer as a movie storage and playback rig, with occasional gaming, encoding, and Photoshopping. I don't really need that much CPU horsepower, but since these three processors are pretty closely priced, I wanted to see what you all have to say about them.
 
Yeah, the socket thing had me a little baffled at first too...

My understanding is that the 860 has the entire northbridge on-die, so it connects directly to the PCIe bus and the southbridge; the 920, on the other hand, still needs an off-die northbridge (sans memory controller), which it connects to via a QPI link. There's also the matter of three memory channels on the 920 vs. two on the 860. Different interfaces, different sockets.

As for which you should get, I have no idea...
 
Back
Top