• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrading from 7950, recommendation for crossfire.

Berkahh

n00b
Joined
Nov 27, 2011
Messages
30
Couple of years ago I purchased Vapor-x 7950 and it has been a good graphics card for me, and now I decided to upgrade.

I want to crossfire this time, gonna go with nvidia instead.

I will be only playing Black Desert Online, so i don't need anything high-end, but something better than vapor-x

My specs;

OMvAv0k.png
 
..."Vapor-X" is a cooling method, or more accurately, Sapphire marketing speak for a vapor chamber based cooler. It's not a type of card. It's not a level of performance. It has literally nothing to do with what you're talking about. I'm glad the 7950 worked out for you. "Better than vapor-x" however is complete nonsense.

You also state you're "only playing BDO" (a fairly taxing game, and I suspect not /literally/ the only thing you want to play) and "don't need anything high end" but said you want to run Crossfire (which is an AMD technology) with Nvidia cards (dual card would be SLI in that case). Only, there is literally /never/ a good reason to run two lower end cards in SLI or Crossfire, since a single higher end card will almost always be more efficient and cost the same or less for the same performance. It also won't be nearly as complex, and will mean you don't have to wait for Crossfire/SLI fixes for games, 99% of the time they'll just work assuming you keep your drivers up to date. So you completely contradict yourself and show you haven't made any effort to learn, just posted here looking to be directed. Blindly.

You're switching from AMD to Nvidia despite seemingly having a good experience with AMD given how long you've kept the 7950 and stating clearly that it has "been a good card" for you. Why the switch? Nvidia is typically more expensive, and they tend to support proprietary tech like G-Sync that will raise your total cost of ownership if you decide to get a new monitor in the future. Did you have a poor experience with AMD drivers? Have you read that Nvidia is generally on top in terms of performance right now? Why?

What's your budget? What's the resolution you're running at? Do you want to run all settings maxed in BDO or are you willing to turn some things down as a compromise? Are you running any OC on that 3570K? Do you have an aftermarket cooler for your CPU / if so what sort is it? Would you consider OCing if you haven't yet, or are you one of the throng of idiots coming out of the proverbial woodworks lately that bought a K-series chip and is so terrified of breaking something that you literally paid more for nothing? Where is all the information that matters in your post and why do you think I'm psychic?

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, have done zero research, and haven't given even half the information necessary to allow for a decent recommendation. I cannot work with this. No one can work with this.

I'm seeing more and more of this on the forums lately, and sorry, but I'm sick of it. I want to help, but in order for that to happen you have to try too, and it's generally expected you'll do some research first and at least have some idea what you're aiming for.

This whole post pisses me off.
 
Last edited:
Wait until the end of June to see how the Radeon 480 performs. It's supposed to MSRP at $199.99 and compete with the 390x. Or, you can try to get a GTX 1070 now, if you can find one.

And I'd just skip SLI/Crossfire altogether if you can.
 
..."Vapor-X" is a cooling method, or more accurately, Sapphire marketing speak for a vapor chamber based cooler. It's not a type of card. It's not a level of performance. It has literally nothing to do with what you're talking about. I'm glad the 7950 worked out for you. "Better than vapor-x" however is complete nonsense.

You also state you're "only playing BDO" (a fairly taxing game, and I suspect not /literally/ the only thing you want to play) and "don't need anything high end" but said you want to run Crossfire (which is an AMD technology) with Nvidia cards (dual card would be SLI in that case). Only, there is literally /never/ a good reason to run two lower end cards in SLI or Crossfire, since a single higher end card will almost always be more efficient and cost the same or less for the same performance. It also won't be nearly as complex, and will mean you don't have to wait for Crossfire/SLI fixes for games, 99% of the time they'll just work assuming you keep your drivers up to date. So you completely contradict yourself and show you haven't made any effort to learn, just posted here looking to be directed. Blindly.

You're switching from AMD to Nvidia despite seemingly having a good experience with AMD given how long you've kept the 7950 and stating clearly that it has "been a good card" for you. Why the switch? Nvidia is typically more expensive, and they tend to support proprietary tech like G-Sync that will raise your total cost of ownership if you decide to get a new monitor in the future. Did you have a poor experience with AMD drivers? Have you read that Nvidia is generally on top in terms of performance right now? Why?

What's your budget? What's the resolution you're running at? Do you want to run all settings maxed in BDO or are you willing to turn some things down as a compromise? Are you running any OC on that 3570K? Do you have an aftermarket cooler for your CPU / if so what sort is it? Would you consider OCing if you haven't yet, or are you one of the throng of idiots coming out of the proverbial woodworks lately that bought a K-series chip and is so terrified of breaking something that you literally paid more for nothing? Where is all the information that matters in your post and why do you think I'm psychic?

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, have done zero research, and haven't given even half the information necessary to allow for a decent recommendation. I cannot work with this. No one can work with this.

I'm seeing more and more of this on the forums lately, and sorry, but I'm sick of it. I want to help, but in order for that to happen you have to try too, and it's generally expected you'll do some research first and at least have some idea what you're aiming for.

This whole post pisses me off.


It is my fault that I didn't give enough information, I'm surprised you even bothered replying to me.

The PC I have, I built it in 2011-12 and haven't had any upgrades ever since. I have corsair h60i cooling system. I haven't had any problems with the "vapor-x 7950" other than the loudness of it and random reboots whenever I watch full-screen videos. (this started happening when I attempted OC on the card)

Currently; I get max 25fps on high settings while playing BDO, I would love to buy another 7950 to slightly increase the performance, but not sure which ones will be compatible with the one I already have.

My processor is at 4.2 oc right now, didn't bother going higher since current settings has been stable.

1920x1080 ASUS VG248QE monitor

If i were to sell this card for $100, I'm willing to spend up to $400 for a new card
 
Crossfire is not the way to go - you should sell the 7950 and replace it with a RX 480 8GB (should be $260 or so when they release) or if you can find a very good deal on a used 980ti or Fury X, consider those.

As far as new cards, in the ~$400 range there's the Nvidia GTX 1070, but I'd wait on the RX 480 benches before spending that much.
 
I assume you want an NV card as they tend to perform better than the AMD cards in that game?

If you want a new card with a full warranty wait for the AMD cards to show up and see what they can do. The price/performance may be well worth waiting a couple of weeks. By then, the new NV cards may have greater availability and more options available. In your price range you are looking at comparing the AMD cards to the NV 1070 lineup. I personally would not pick up a 1070 FE, I'd wait for the other variants to release.

If you want something now and are willing to go to the secondary (used) market then I'd look for a 980 ti for ~$300. That card should max your game on your monitor at ~60fps.

I'd see what one of these cards will do for you before you decide to go xfire or sli. You might find you don't need a second card from any manufacturer. And if you do decide to pick up a second card the 980 ti or 1070 will work.
 
Last edited:
This close to new cheap badass cards....Fucking wait just a little longer:) Im in a very similar situation (R9 280x)...the RX480 looks to be a solid 65% performance improvement over my card...Maybe even 70% over yours.....Thats a huge bump for the money. The 300 dollar AMD cards MIGHT be even better. The Nvidia 1070's are going for 450+ and while its an even better card....its just a tad overpriced like most nvidia cards
 
Last edited:
I'm sitting on my 7970 for a while longer to see if there is a 1080Ti or something competative from AMD to replace it with if the $$ per performance is worth it.
 
Back
Top