Upgrading from 7900 to 7950 GX2

MCRAYGSX

Limp Gawd
I am finally upgrading from Evga GEFORCE 7900 GT KO to XFX Geforce 7950 GX2 M570. I play most games like Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter, Quake IV, EVE ONLINE, Comany of Heroes and soon to BF 2142... at 1600x1200 .

I want to run all of those games at 1600x1200 and Detail of the game is really important for me. So will this upgrade allow me at to play games at MAX Detail with AA and AF on ? or should i wait for DX 10 cards.....

When I upgraded from my 7900GTX to a 7950GX2, the one thing I noticed was that games became easier to play at higher resolutions than they were with the 7900GTX. So like the previous guy said, yeah.

It will be a pretty huge jump. Basically a 7950GX2 is almost as good as dual 7900GTX's in SLI. So that is a pretty significant leap over what you have depending on the game. As mentioned above, you could really get about the same performance by going with a second 7900GT. Though the 7950GX2 should use less power, and might generate less heat than dual 7900GT's.

DeathKnight_NSA said:
When I upgraded from my 7900GTX to a 7950GX2, the one thing I noticed was that games became easier to play at higher resolutions than they were with the 7900GTX. So like the previous guy said, yeah.

True. Though you too would have gotten better performance with dual 7900GTX's in SLI. Though the power consumption would have been higher. Of course there are motherboard considerations to take into account as well.

It is too bad your Intel based 965 MB doesn't support SLI, only CrossFire. It would of been the cheapest way to upgrade.

I say go ahead upgrade to the GX2. If you keep waiting around all the time for the next new hardware it's just time lost at better gaming.

Oletymer said:
It is too bad your Intel based 965 MB doesn't support SLI, only CrossFire. It would of been the cheapest way to upgrade.

I agree.

Oletymer said:
I say go ahead upgrade to the GX2. If you keep waiting around all the time for the next new hardware it's just time lost at better gaming.

Well said and absolutely true.

firewolf said:
Why don't you just get another 7900GT?

Actually i recently build a RIG and bought GIGABYTE GA 965p-DS3 which dont have SLI i am waiting for INTEL version of nFORCE 5.

Also Question ::: WIll this GEFORCE 7950 GX2 work with Gigabyte 965P-DS3 ??

MCRAYGSX said:
I am finally upgrading from Evga GEFORCE 7900 GT KO to XFX Geforce 7950 GX2 M570. I play most games like Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter, Quake IV, EVE ONLINE, Comany of Heroes and soon to BF 2142... at 1600x1200 .

I want to run all of those games at 1600x1200 and Detail of the game is really important for me. So will this upgrade allow me at to play games at MAX Detail with AA and AF on ? or should i wait for DX 10 cards.....

Yes. A GX2 should deal with those games easily, even with the settings you want.
IMHO, the GX2 is the only card out there worth the upgrade, even when we're this close to a DX10 card, so I say go for it.

Thanks a bunch everyone for great replie, I played an order from BUY.COM and they have shipped the card today. Lets hope it works find on my GIGABYTE GA 965P-DS3 M/B .

There should be a noticable difference with the 7950GX2. You should really be able to crank up the aa and af when you want. Then once the new series video cards are released you can sell the 7950GX2 on ebay (where people usually pay way too much for everything) and put it towards the new G80s

I have 2 7950GT m570's SLI'd and they run Company of Hero's at all HIGH settings and max model detail silky smooth. My SLI combo is only a bit faster then a stock GX2 so you can expect the same results.

Back