• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrading from 6870 to a 6970

McClintoc

Fully [H]
2FA
Joined
Sep 27, 2005
Messages
17,392
I'm looking to upgrade my video card but am limited to PCIe 2.1 cards - my rig is 3 or 4 years old. I think the best I can do is a 6970 but are these cards really still $400 new? Hasn't the 6970 been out for about a couple years now? Not to mention all the 7000 series cards. I'd prefere new but not at $400 for card that's been around a while. Am I missing something?
 
What do you mean limited? All new cards are backward compatible to PCIE 2.0 motherboards?
 
What do you mean limited? All new cards are backward compatible to PCIE 2.0 motherboards?

I wasn't aware of this. I don't build/upgrade nearly as often as I used to. If true, that certainly opens up my options.
 
Going prices I have seen on the Egg for a brand new Sapphire 6970 is 169.99. Have not seen another brand new for some time. A 7870 equals or beats a 6970 in real world performance.
 
I use the egg for product info and customer reviews but I stopped buying from them long ago.
 
If you can wait a bit I think the cards are going to drop in price once the new models become available...might get a better model 7950 for the price of a 7870 now...just a thought!
 
When are the new models coming out? I can wait. This is pretty much a random upgrade; it's not for any specific reason.
 
I doubt prices are going to go down anymore since the 2xx and 7xxx series are the same cards, there's really no reason for them to clear stock.
 
Back
Top