• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrading from 4850 to 6850

014

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
193
This is my first post. I was a regular at the IGN PCGB for around 7 years. I'm sure there's a section for introductions, so I will search that out.

I have been itching all week to buy a new video card. I had some good overtime on my pay check, and I wanted to upgrade. My 4850 has been the best card I've ever had. Its performance has been acceptable to me longer than I expected.

I decided that I wanted to get the Asus 6850 at first thought. After researching more that same day, Monday, I decided that the extra bones for a GTX460 FTW was worth it. I found what I thought was a great deal, so I was going to get that on Friday. I was mistaken, however, and realized the model number of the "great deal" was the wrong one. The price difference between the GTX460 FTW and the 6850 was back to $50. I changed my mind -again- to get the 6850 and save some cash (ended up buying BF:BC2 for my cousin with the saved dough).

The new problem became availability. I could not find the Asus 6850 anywhere at a reasonable price. It was $20 and $30 more expensive than Newegg at other locations. As I waited each day for Newegg to get more Asus 6850's in stock, other brands became out of stock as well. My secondary choices fell through as well.

I found tonight that ++++US had the Asus 6850 for $195.14 + shipping. Because Newegg's price went up earlier this week, Newegg's price to my door was going to be ~$192. My decision now was: should I wait for Newegg to get Asus back in stock so I can save somewhere around $8, or should I just spend that little extra?

Before I paid the premium for Asus, I had to consider the other brands. Could I find other brands cheaper and in stock? I found MWAVE. They had the Gigabyte 6850 for $178. They have two promotions. One is if you are an MWAVE member (which is free), it's $4 off. The second is if you pay with eBillme for the first time, it's another $10 off. Shipping was $2.99. The grand total, to my door, was $166.99. At this point, the $30+ difference between the Asus and the Gigabyte was too large. I bit the bullet on the Gigabyte. Woohoo! I wonder if anyone else has gotten such a good deal on a 6850 so far.

On top of that, I have a buyer to pay $45 for my 4850. Yes!
 
I just got an XFX 6850 for $171 to my door, and my gigabyte 6850 was $175 :) Can't complain. Thats a good deal though- you'll be happy- my gigabyte 6850 is awesome. Got it OCed stable to 970/1200 (and didn't even try pushing the memory faster than that yet!)
 
I got an email today saying that the card I ordered is on back order. Grr! I don't know if I'll order from them again. It was "in stock" when I placed the order.

Edit: There still aren't any better options, so I'm leaving my order as is. I guess I'll sit back and be patient. At least my new CPU cooler will be coming. :)
 
Last edited:
I canceled my back order and ordered an EVGA GTX460 768MB (standard clock) from Newegg. It came with a 10% Newegg promo, free shipping, free HAWX2, and $30 MIR. The final price was like $122.

I was willing to spend around $200 for my upgrade. But the deal above was too good for me. When I bought my 4850 for $120, I was planning on only running it for 1 year. Well, I've been plenty satisfied running it for 2 years. We'll see how long I like the 460.
 
Back
Top