Upgrading Dell Dimension 9100 Ram.

BigHubris

n00b
I saw that Frys had a great deal on DDR2 ram on Monday. I am wondering if there will be any compatibility issues with Dell? Are they picky with RAM? My friend had a 4700 and he bought some OCZ ram and it did not work well with the Dell. Thanks for any input.

Don't these people know that enthusiast-oriented memory is not the best choice for an OEM system like the Dell Dimension 9100? You see, OEM systems always run their memory at JEDEC-standard voltages and JEDEC-standard timings. Thus, DDR2-533 memory will always run at 4-4-4-12 on that Dell system regardless of the memory's rated timings - while DDR2-667 memory will always run at 5-5-5-15 no matter what. And the memory voltage is permanently fixed at the JEDEC-reference 1.75V - whereas enthusiast-oriented memory requires a minimum of 1.95V or 2.00V in order to run at their advertised timings and clockspeeds.

In other words, buying enthusiast-oriented memory for a tiff OEM rig is just a waste of money, IMHO.

BigHubris said:
Well it is value ram so I dont think that should be a problem ^_^

Even if it's value RAM, it's best not to mix it with your existing RAM.

E4g1e said:
Even if it's value RAM, it's best not to mix it with your existing RAM.

QFT - Mixing RAM usually doesn't work out so well, especially with OEM boards.

Old thread - but I have been runing the Kingston value RAM alongside what shipped with the system for 9 months. 2.5 gigs of RAM and all is well.

Hi ,
I am looking into getting new memory for my Dell 9100. Dell told me i had to buy from them.... big bucks.... I went to new egg and they had i think the right memory stick..... but they would not garentee anything... i like new egg.
Just before i was to order from new egg i found another site 4all memory.com that said they have the memory for the 9100 and only them. Please find message below.Is this just a sales.

At 4 All Memory.com, our goal is to provide our customers with Grade A memory that works in your system for the lowest possible price. We want happy customers! Sometimes however, you might find what seems to be the exact same memory from a competitor for a lower price. The word to emphasize is seems!
Why are there price differences among memory modules that seem to have the exact same specifications? The reason is because of something called memory density migration and how it relates to compatibility with different computers. When computer manufacturers design new computers, they attempt to build in support for all the DRAM chip densities available at the time of design. When PC100's were released, only 16Mb chips and 64Mb chips DRAM densities were available. However, at that time, 128Mb chips were already in the design phase, so the computer manufacturers built in support for this higher memory density. Today, manufacturers are capable of producing chips with densities of 256Mb and 512Mb and soon a 1Gb chip will be available. As manufacturers get more density, or storage, per chip and migrate to newer processes, the production cost per megabit decreases.

Memory chips are a commodity. Their market price is dictated by supply and demand. When the demand increases for the higher density chips, the demand for older, lower density chips usually declines. This results in the Manufacturers shifting their production runs to accommodate the varying demand. If the supply of the lower density chips decreases faster than demand, the market price on these chips will remain high in comparison to the newer, higher density chips. That is why we currently see higher pricing for 128Mb SDRAM chips relative to 256Mb SDRAM chips.

The issue is that the older systems cannot support the newer, higher density, lower cost chips. The computer's chipset can only support the memory technology it was designed with. Most of the older systems only support lower density modules. Most consumers, especially when they don't know about the importance of chip density and compatibility, will opt for the lowest price module, especially when the specifications seem to be identical. But there is nothing more disappointing than thinking you are getting a great deal, then installing the memory chip and finding that it doesn’t work in your machine. It almost makes you want to give up Internet shopping altogether!

The faster machine you planned on is suddenly days away as you proceed through the company's RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) process, hoping to maybe get a replacement module that works or a refund. That's why we have made it easy at 4 All Memory.com. When you use our Memory Finder, we guarantee that the memory you purchase is 100% compatible with your system or we'll give you your money back. We've done the work for you. The Memory Finder will only show you parts that we guarantee will work. When you purchase anything less, or less expensive, you're risking compatibility with your system.

Help can someone tell me if this is a sales pitch... 4 memory.com is alot more money

THanks

Back