Upgrading DD-WRT

Jenova

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to upgrade my WRT54GL to a more update-to-date version of DD-WRT. The version installed now is DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) std. I've been researching and found that the DD-WRT Database should not be used. I've found the Brainslayer 14929 version to be highly recommended. Is this version correct for my router? Also, do I need to first upgrade using the mini or micro then to generic? Or do I not need to flash micro or mini first since I already have DD-WRT std installed? I'm going to be upgrading by web interface and performing a 30/30/30/ reset before and after flashing DD-WRT.

Here is the FTP: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/

I'd like to use the VPN version of DD-WRT so would I need to first flash mini-generic then VPN-generic or can I use the mini files labeled WRT54G? There is just so much info about DD-WRT and the database hasn't been kept up to date.

I just switched from DD-WRT to pfSense and I would recomend you do the same if you have a spare box with 2 nic's.

Here is the thing with DD-WRT and VPN's, the various builds use different versions of OpenVPN and to have it work with your VPN provider you will have to try multiple builds, it took me several days to find a build where the AES-256CBC cyphers worked with my VPN. Not only that my router was actually limiting the bandwidth due to its cpu suckage at crypto. Do it right the first time go straight to pfSense, a fantastic OpenVPN setup instructions here https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=76015.0 , imo router processors are just too limited to do all the things OpenWRT and the like are trying to cram into them.

Jenova,
First, upgrade to a newer router than the WRT54GL. It's probably severely limiting your speeds unless you're still cruising on an old 1.5Mb DSL line. VPN will especially kill it.

Second, you can find the best dd-wrt build by looking in the forums for the thread that discusses your router model. That's where the most up-to-date info is.

Third, Any of the ASUS routers would do well. They tend to be better built than Linksys's latest offerings. If money is a concern, buy a decent used Linksys off eBay with great dd-wrt support. Look for 8M Flash / 32M RAM with a Broadcom chip. The WRT600N is a God among dd-wrt routers, but probably still expensive, even used.

pfSense is great, yes surely better than dd-wrt, but then you'll still need a separate switch and WAP. If you don't need complication in your home network, dd-wrt is still an excellent choice.

Agreed on the upgrade thing, a GL can't keep up with modern broadband speeds.

Buffalo also makes good gear, some of their devices even come with DD-WRT preinstalled. (albeit with a slightly customized UI)

Back