• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Upgrading cpu/mobo

x3nzox

Weaksauce
Joined
May 12, 2014
Messages
79
IF i upgrade the cpu/mobo do I have to re install windows on my ssd etc?
 
Possibly, yes.

It really depends on the change in architecture vs what's already installed in/with Windows in its present configuration. For example, I can freely move an entire RAID array I have between a system with M4A87TD/USB3+Phenom II x6 1045t and a 990FXA-UD3+FX-8120 or vice cersa and only do a restart following first boot because those boards basically use the same crap on-board despite them being designed to handle (mostly) different types of CPUs.

I recently moved an SSD from an Intel machine running a Q8400 to another running with a Core i7 3770 and only had to deal with a few restarts and driver installs.

However, if I were to move a drive from an AMD machine to an Intel, or from one Intel/AMD system to a far more disparate system, it would likely result in BSOD on boot because the chipset was not as expected.

YMMV
 
Possibly, yes.

It really depends on the change in architecture vs what's already installed in/with Windows in its present configuration. For example, I can freely move an entire RAID array I have between a system with M4A87TD/USB3+Phenom II x6 1045t and a 990FXA-UD3+FX-8120 or vice cersa and only do a restart following first boot because those boards basically use the same crap on-board despite them being designed to handle (mostly) different types of CPUs.

I recently moved an SSD from an Intel machine running a Q8400 to another running with a Core i7 3770 and only had to deal with a few restarts and driver installs.

However, if I were to move a drive from an AMD machine to an Intel, or from one Intel/AMD system to a far more disparate system, it would likely result in BSOD on boot because the chipset was not as expected.

YMMV

IC.....
I am moving from phenom II X2 b555 amd
to i5 4670k.. I guess i have to reinstall... pain in the buttt
 
No you do not. Google "Windows 7 Sysprep" and you'll find a tutorial if you are on 7.
 
Back
Top