Upgrading an old Computer

Corbin

Limp Gawd
Hi, I recently got a new computer and want to upgrade my old one. I have everything except a Video Card, Processor, Fan, Memory, and a Motherboard. I’m a gamer and I would like this computer to be able to play Call of Duty 4, Half-Life 2, ep1, ep2, TF2, Company of heroes. These games do not need to be maxed out or even on high. Just 50+ fps/ playable. Any suggestions for a Video Card, Processor, Fan, Memory, Motherboard. My budget is about $400-500.

I would suggest an 8600gt would be fine, I run cod4 on less....integrated 6250se..... and I have no complaints.

I would suggest posting this question in the General Hardware section. The guys over there could make recommendations with their cut & paste information :)

I'd like to see the specs on your power supply, but here is a quick list(prices are about)

mobo> Gigabyte IP35-DS3L $87
cpu> C2D E4700 $143 (e4500 or e4400 for cheaper)
ram> 2gb Corsair DDR2-6400 $55 (look for rebates, I got 4gb for $50)
gfx> 9600gt +/- $170

Total about $455 using stock Intel HSF...aftermarket HSF would bring it to +/- $500

Just a quick opinion, I'm sure there are plenty of other options out there :)

Okay.

Well here's some recommendations from me.

AMD 5000+ BE (Less than $100)
Get a Biostar AM2+ board. It won't have SLI but it's also less than $100 and will let you OC.
8800GT...you can get some for like $150 AR now. I know that the PNY XLR8 8800GT OC is $170 After a mail in rebate and comes with Company of Heroes. go to http://www.slickdeals.net and check the front page for the deal.
HSF...I got the Thermaltake Max Orb for $50 at clubit.com and it works wonderful. You can get cheaper ones on eBay...just make sure they are new.
Memory: On eBay (again) honestly...it's the best place to try other than waiting for a deal to come your way. I know that Newegg has the A-DATA 4GB DDR2 800 for $60 after mail in rebate right now though. You can also get 2GB of some awesome RAM from frys for like $20 after mail in rebate.

Okay.

Well here's some recommendations from me.

AMD 5000+ BE (Less than $100)
Get a Biostar AM2+ board. It won't have SLI but it's also less than $100 and will let you OC.
8800GT...you can get some for like $150 AR now. I know that the PNY XLR8 8800GT OC is $170 After a mail in rebate and comes with Company of Heroes. go to http://www.slickdeals.net and check the front page for the deal.
HSF...I got the Thermaltake Max Orb for $50 at clubit.com and it works wonderful. You can get cheaper ones on eBay...just make sure they are new.
Memory: On eBay (again) honestly...it's the best place to try other than waiting for a deal to come your way. I know that Newegg has the A-DATA 4GB DDR2 800 for $60 after mail in rebate right now though. You can also get 2GB of some awesome RAM from frys for like $20 after mail in rebate.

Well, besides the fact that I would rather have an intel system right now, there is no way in hell I would be going to eBay for memory. DDR2 is dirt cheap right now and there is NO reason to take the risk.

Back