Upgrading a gaming rig for HT?

Tristanic

n00b
Joined
Mar 5, 2006
Messages
43
So, due to an impulse buy this black Friday, it looks like my gaming/photography computer will need to be running as an htpc also. I was just wondering what I would need to get to make this happen. The biggest area of concern (and potential cost) seems to be in the audio department.

Firstly, any suggestions on an internal Blu Ray player? I already have a dvd player and am fine having two optical drives so I won’t need to worry about spending more for a combo player, just a blu ray.

Then there is audio. I have an old Klipsch promedia ultra 5.1 with a dead sub. It costs about $100 to get it fixed but would I be able to use it with the blu ray audio? I have an older Audigy card I was using to run sound before the sub died.

Cheapest route would be if I could just fix the sub/amp and have it work with the surround sound. If I have to get a receiver (hopefully would just need to get a sub and reuse my satellites) would I still be able to run the games through that?

I appreciate any suggestions you guys have, thanks!

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X48
DDR: mushkin XP 8GB DDR2 1066
PSU: Corsair 750W TX750W ATX12V
GPU: Crossfired Sapphire 4870
HDD: 1 X 300 GB Velociraptor 1x WD 640GB 1x WD 500GB 1x 74GB Raptor scratch
Monitor: Sharp 46” 120ghz lc-46sb57u & FW900
DVD: hp dvd40 lightscribe dvd/cd (need a blu ray I believe)
Case: Lian Li PC-65 Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
Speakers: Klipsch 5.1 promedia ultras (Need to fix the sub )
OS: Vista Business 64
Sound card: Audigy 2 zs Platinum
 
If you used a receiver you would still be able hear your games through it.
 
Back
Top