Upgrades for G3 Powerbook (Wallstreet 333)?

ZeroX

2[H]4U
Okay, let me start by saying that I am NOT an apple guy. I really want to learn the ins and outs of OS9 and OSX, but I haven't had the financial capability to put money into two systems.

Soon, from work, I will be getting a hand-me-down G3 Powerbook Wallstreet 333. I'm interested in getting OS9, OSX, and some flavor of Linux on the thing - but I'd like to upgrade the processor. It already has a bigger harddrive and more memory courtesy of my boss (who I'm getting the laptop from), but it's apparently a little slow.

So, long story short: can anybody recommend products/manufacturers of upgrades? I'd prefer a G4 upgrade (I see plenty of G4 upgrades around for models 233 - 300, just not for 333... does it matter? I have no clue) but if that can't be done, I'll take any info you can get me.

Thanks so much for any help.

Are you sure its a wallstreet? They topped out at 300MHz. The next revision was the lombard, which was 333MHz and 400MHz.

Hm, I'm not positive it's a wallstreet. I *am* positive the mhz associated with it was 333, though, so I guess that qualifies it as a lombard?

doesn't matter which one it is...I doubt you will be able to cram a different CPU in there....I have never seen a CPU upgrade for a PC laptop either so it isn't supprizing...just max the RAM out and put a big HD and you will be ok...OS X isn't going to scream but with enough RAM it will be fine

But, I've seen G4 upgrades for some of these laptops. They DO exist. I'm just looking for an upgrade that will work with this model of laptop.

Originally posted by gigglebyte
doesn't matter which one it is...I doubt you will be able to cram a different CPU in there....I have never seen a CPU upgrade for a PC laptop either so it isn't supprizing...just max the RAM out and put a big HD and you will be ok...OS X isn't going to scream but with enough RAM it will be fine

I've seen the upgrade postings for the Wallstreet as well but none for lombard. As for PC laptops, especially now that they're much more kin to desktops they're easier to upgrade, even Centrino laptops, yank the old processor and put in the new and done.

Originally posted by gigglebyte

There is a G4 upgrade for them, I saw it at Sonnett when I had mine, and just about every PC laptop has a ZIF socket or LIF socket for upgrades.

After more googling, I've come to the conclusion through several articles that the PowerLogix upgrade is the only one remaining one the market for this powerbook.
http://www.powerlogix.com/products/bc4ls/index.html
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/PB_G3/powerlogix_bluechip/

It does seem to review favorably, so can anybody else recommend it? Apparently, this model comes with a new cache on it, which is good, since my boss speculates his might be on the way out.

Now the issue is, where can I get it? All of the stores listed on the PowerLogix site do not carry the BlueChip G4 LS. Suggestions?

/edit: I asked my boss, the Apple Family number of the laptop is M5343.

The first link you posted will work in your powerbook. The second is for a wallstreet and wont. And yes, the cache going out on lombards is very common, I've replaced a ton of processor modules due to this.

Originally posted by ZeroX
After more googling, I've come to the conclusion through several articles that the PowerLogix upgrade is the only one remaining one the market for this powerbook.
http://www.powerlogix.com/products/bc4ls/index.html
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/PB_G3/powerlogix_bluechip/

It does seem to review favorably, so can anybody else recommend it? Apparently, this model comes with a new cache on it, which is good, since my boss speculates his might be on the way out.

Now the issue is, where can I get it? All of the stores listed on the PowerLogix site do not carry the BlueChip G4 LS. Suggestions?

/edit: I asked my boss, the Apple Family number of the laptop is M5343.

well I stand corrected then...I don't do much with laptops (PC or Mac other than my ibook) and the last one I really worked on the CPU was hard wired to the board

Back