Upgraded RAM, not all of it is Usable in Windows

SlayVus

Limp Gawd
Edit: Problem solved... got the wrong advice on enabling Maximum Memory in MsConfig.

I'm having problems with all my RAM not being usable in my computer.

I have
EVGA X58 SLI 3
G.Skill PI Black 3x2GB DDR3-1600 Cas-8 @ 1.6v
Corsair Vengeance 3x4GB DDR3-1600 Cas-9 @ 1.5v
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Before I installed the 12GB RAM kit I had 9GB installed in my computer with 9GB usable. 3x2GB kit and a 3x1GB kit running at 1333 Cas-9.

I removed the 3x1GB kit and installed the 3x4GB kit. Booted into Windows and had 18GB (5.99GB Usable) displayed in my system properties. I went into MSConfig and enabled Maximum Memory, but still had the same amount of RAM usable after reboot.

Changed Memory Low Gap from Auto to 2.5G. Booted into windows and saw 18GB (15.5GB Usable).

Restarted my PC and changed Memory Low Gap from 2.5G to Auto and changed MCH Strap from auto to DRAM Ratio. Booted into windows and saw 18GB (16.5GB Usable).

Also I Tried changing the tRL from +0 to +2 And It Changed the usable ram from 16.5 to 12. Changed it back to +0 And my usable ram is 16.5gb again.

Running at DDR3-1333 Cas-9 didn't not work. Still reporting 18GB (16.5GB Usable). The BIOS reports Extended Memory - 18873344K and Total Memory - 18874368K

Updated BIOS from date BIOS release of 10/26/2010(revision 77) to 8/25/2011(Revision 83). Windows still reports 18GB (16.5GB Usable).

Changed out my RAM. I am using my 3x4GB kit and my 3x1GB kit. Windows reports 15GB.

With the 3x2GB kit and the 3x4GB kit it didn't matter whether the 3x4GB kit was in slots 1, 3 and 5 or slots 2, 4 and 6. Windows kept reporting 18GB (16.5GB Usable).

Last edited:
Problem solved... got the wrong advice on enabling Maximum Memory in MsConfig.

I'm having this same issue but turning off or on Max Mem doesn't do anything.
I have 3x1gb and 3x2gb of the same ram for 9gb total but windows reports 5.99 usable.
My motherboard is an evga 3x sli (E758).
I've seen some other suggestions to mess with Memory Remap (i think it's called) in the bios but I don't see that in my bios. Maybe it's called something else?
Anyone have any ideas?

@shoota - Memory Remap is called Memory Low Gap in the BIOS. This is located under the Memory Feature in the BIOS under Frequency/Voltage Control.

Try setting the MCH Strap to DRAM Ratio in the BIOS. It's located under Frequency/Voltage Control.

I am having the same problem. I have 12 gb installed. Windows and Bios recognized all 12 gb but shows only 7.99 usable under system in control panel. I just noticed this problem before i went to work this morning. I have never seen this before and I have checked the RAM several times to make sure it registered after each clean install. I am stuck at work until 5 so I have not had a chance to try any of the fixes that I have been reading about. I am open to all ideas that anyone has to fix this problem.

EVGA FTW3 (not sure of BIOS version. It has what it was shipped with. No problems so I didn't
update)
I7-920 D0 3.8ghz
12 gb Kingston Hyper X DDR 3 1600 12gb 9-9-9-27 @ 1.65v
2 x EVGA GTX 570's
Windows 7 64 bit
ATX1200w Corsair

@shoota - Memory Remap is called Memory Low Gap in the BIOS. This is located under the Memory Feature in the BIOS under Frequency/Voltage Control.

Try setting the MCH Strap to DRAM Ratio in the BIOS. It's located under Frequency/Voltage Control.

First off thanks for coming back to the thread to help. I won't be at my pc until tonight so I'll try what you're suggesting when I get home and report back. Thanks!

Problem solved... got the wrong advice on enabling Maximum Memory in MsConfig.

eh, as a general FYI you should always include the solution instead of just posting a problem solved message. reason being people will google for similar problems and instead of finding solutions they find the original poster saying shit like "NVM, problem solved"

I didn't say, NVM, problem solved. I said, Problem Solved. got the wrong advice on enabling Maximum Memory in MSConfig.

Which meant that I had advice to enable it, but it should have been disabled.

So what do I set Memory Low Gap to?
How do I set the MHC strap to DRAM Ratio and what does that mean?
Sorry I'm not an expert in the bios.

update: If I only use the first 4 out of the six slots all ram is usable. The minute I add one more stick to that 5th slot usable ram drops back to 5.99

update 2: putting 6x2gb works just fine. all 12gb is usable.

update 3: Success! Apparently I had them installed incorrectly as far as slots go. I had them 121212 but now i have them installed 111222 and it's showing as triple channel like it should be instead of dual channel as it was before. I assumed that the channels corresponded to the colors of the slots but they don't.

Last edited:
on your update 3 your original assumption I think should be correct. That sounds a bit bizzare.

yeah no kidding. when i have some more time i'll try to find the manual for the board and see what it says.

I fixed my issue also. Had to back my BCLK from 200 to 190. Set VDIMM V to 1.675v. MCH Strap to DRAM RATIO, DRAM RATIO to 2:8, CPU VTT V +150mv.

Boom all 12 GB recongized and all 12 GB usable in window and bios.

Back