Upgraded New Parts, Now Windows Won't Load

Hello all. I upgraded my motherboard, cpu, ram, and video card, and carried over my hard drive (with windows xp pro, sp2) and dvd rom from my old computer. I installed everything, powered it up, and got to a screen that says something like:

"We're sorry for the inconvenience, but windows could not load. This may be due to a recent hardware or software change" blah blah blah. Then it gives me options to start windows in safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, safe mode with networking, and last known good configuration.

I tried all of them, but it just takes me back to the bios splash screen and restarts the whole process again.
What can I do to still use the same hdd to boot from, without accidentally erasing the installation of windows that's on their currently, and not lose my files?

I do have an old hdd that I use as a backup, and could install winows on that and then transfer all my files from my newer hdd, but I would rather not go through that hassle.

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate the help.
Thanks.

Break out your Windows CD and do a Repair.

Then, I'd probably make fresh backups and reinstall.

theres a sticky in the OS forum on how to do that, but youre too late.
unless you can put your old hardware back in, your prolly gonna have to reinstall.

thespursfan said:
But a repair won't delete any of my files that are on there currentyl?
No, a repair does just that....repairs what's broken.

unless you can put your old hardware back in, your prolly gonna have to reinstall.

I can still put my old hardware back in to my old computer, and it should work fine :)
I'll try a repair if Sysprep doesn't work.

Thanks for the help. I'll be back if I have any problems with this.
I appreciate it.

If you do a repair you should be ok.. it just replaces your OS files.. it wont format the drive first so it wont erase files in other partitions or your documents folder either.. you will just have to reapply updates and what not...

Back