Upgrade worth the price?

sandaflo

n00b
Joined
Feb 4, 2006
Messages
13
Hello All,

Looking to upgrade on the cheap and leverage as many components from my old system as possible.

Current Specs/items to be upgraded
Mach Speed P4m800 MB w/ skt. 478 P4 2.8a o/ced to 3.2ghz on stock cooler
Radeon X1600pro 256mb AGP
2 GB DDR3200

Taking a look at this http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2945301&Sku=MBM-MSNV-3800

taxes in, it would cost me $171 Canadian, plus the cost of a cooler (approx. $35). I would also need to find a PCI-E videocard, but don't want to break the bank.

Is this a worthwhile upgrade? The P4 doens't have HT, the board doesn't support dual channel memory. At the time, the x1600 was the best AGP videocard I could find w/o spending a fortune. Anyone with feedback on the athlon x2 3800?

thanks
 
That looks promising, but I disklike MachSpeed mobos. Whats your budget?
 
Ideally, no more than $300, but that won't happen unless I can find a relativley cheap videocard on sale. I wouldn't mind a 7600GS or the like; hopefully prices will drop following the introduction of the 8600.

I know Machspeed boards aren't the greatest, but I figure a NF4 is an NF4, provided I don't expect all sorts of extras.

What sort of overclock could I expect from the x2 3800? I hear 2400Mhz is almost a given on even a stock cooler.
 
yah. mine reached 2.4 with ease. going higher is the hard part that needs more voltage, lol. more voltage = more heat. more heat = need for better HSF. Check the FS/FT forum for a vidcard.
 
If you sell, LMK about the 2GB ram. I'm looking for 2x1gb kit. PM me w/ info if intrested.
 
Oh yah, sell all that stuff to give you a better budget, lol. Im just asleep today. :eek:
 
Back
Top