Upgrade worth it?

Sucka

Gawd
Currently i have a 4mbit/512kbps connection at $29.99 (Cox Combo) which would be $39.99 without the combo (that's TV/Internet/phone for those that don't know). They offer the "Premium" for $46.99 with the Cox combo, and $54.99 without the combo. So is it worth it to upgrade to Premium for the 5mbit/768kbps connection? I am a gamer, and i do a good amount of downloading, but am happy with my current download speeds. I realistically get no higher than 550kbps downloads from any server i use. And i get anywhere from 30-60kbps upload depending on where i'm uploading too. What kind of REAL WORLD gains would i be looking at? I could care less to have a 10mb up/down connection if i don't get anymore than my current, so i'm looking for actual gains here. Anyone had Cox's premium that can tell me one way or another? This is in San Diego, CA. by the way.

Ockie0107 said:
Well if you are happy with what you have, then why bother?

I was looking mainly at the upload factor/better ping. Exactly why i posted, tell me why i should/shouldn't upgrade....lol

that is sure alot of money for such a small increase.. i would say no, even if ping would benefit slightly. While they are at it, they should ask you to bend over.

mjz_5 said:
that is sure alot of money for such a small increase.. i would say no, even if ping would benefit slightly. While they are at it, they should ask you to bend over.

$14 bucks for an extra 1mbit/256kbps doesn't seem like a lot, i've seen people pay more than that for their DSL that doesn't even get that. But you're right, that is a lot of money to spend a month when it's coming out of my own pocket, not to mention i live on a tight budget as it is.

Besides price, can anyone comment on what kind of gains i would be looking at through this ISP/service? I know many of you here have cox premium, this is where i learned about it.

and to think...6 months ago i had free 10mbit/10mbit while at school. those were the good days.

Sucka said:
$14 bucks for an extra 1mbit/256kbps doesn't seem like a lot, i've seen people pay more than that for their DSL that doesn't even get that. But you're right, that is a lot of money to spend a month when it's coming out of my own pocket, not to mention i live on a tight budget as it is.

Besides price, can anyone comment on what kind of gains i would be looking at through this ISP/service? I know many of you here have cox premium, this is where i learned about it.

i pay 30$ a month for 5mbit down/0.8mbit up.... And I still think that is somewhat expensive... if you were also getting a static IP address or some other goodies, then maybe the 14 dollars extra would be worth it

mjz_5 said:
i pay 30$ a month for 5mbit down/0.8mbit up.... And I still think that is somewhat expensive... if you were also getting a static IP address or some other goodies, then maybe the 14 dollars extra would be worth it

$30 is expensive? and i thought /me paying $49.99 for Opt Online was average price of cable internet.

So, tell me, what is your cable bill a month? $80 $100 $125 $150?

If your modem is $30 and your TV is $40 and your phone is $45, that's about $115; and you want it to go up another $15?

wallijonn said:
So, tell me, what is your cable bill a month? $80 $100 $125 $150?

If your modem is $30 and your TV is $40 and your phone is $45, that's about $115; and you want it to go up another $15?

It's $92 a month for the combo.....give of take due to phone usage. To me that doesn't seem that bad. I hardly think $29.99 for a 4mbit/512 is a bad deal....

mjz_5 said:

Is that canadian funds? Things are slightly different here. I don't think you can compare Canadian ISP's to the ones found here in the United States, cause $30 bucks for this type of connection is top notch.

Sucka said:
Is that canadian funds? Things are slightly different here. I don't think you can compare Canadian ISP's to the ones found here in the United States, cause $30 bucks for this type of connection is top notch.

yeah, it's a Canadian ISP.. it is really 40 dollars CANADIAN, which is roughly 30 USD dollars.. I wasn't comparing ISP, I was more comparing cost and what I find expensive..

why is broadband so expensive in the states? Maybe it's cheaper in Canada because we have a better technological infrastructure.

mjz_5 said:
yeah, it's a Canadian ISP.. it is really 40 dollars CANADIAN, which is roughly 30 USD dollars.. I wasn't comparing ISP, I was more comparing cost and what I find expensive..

why is broadband so expensive in the states? Maybe it's cheaper in Canada because we have a better technological infrastructure.

Probably to offset the fact you pay more for everything else.....lol j/k

That's a good question, i don't know why we pay more...

Back