Upgrade worth it?

Garby

Weaksauce
Currently I have an Antec Earthwatts 650 PSU. Later this month I'll be grabbing whatever Intel's Big Deal is, and probably an upper 5k series video card (maybe 5770 or 5830). Right now, Fry's has a Antec TPQ-850 on sale for $79, and I'm pondering if this is worth the upgrade, or if my Earthwatts will be futureproof.

I'm not planning on running more than 1 video card, and while I will probably expand beyond the 3 hard drives I have now, I don't think hard drives really draw a ton of power.

So, thoughts?

I'm not sure if this will help at all, but I ran the rig in my signature just fine on a 6 year old Antec True Power 550 with no problems, the need for one pci-e power adapter aside. I was only running 2 hard drives though.

Your 650 should run either the 5770 or the 5830 fine. Unless you're doing a complete rebuild (new processor, mobo, gpu) I would not upgrade it.

Your 650 will be able to power an overclocked i7 and maybe 2 HD5870's, definitely 1 for sure. I wouldn't bother with an upgrade, unless you're looking for better efficiency.

The Earthwatts should be fine with a single video card and whatever the Retail Edge deal includes.

I'm not sure if this will help at all, but I ran the rig in my signature just fine on a 6 year old Antec True Power 550 with no problems, the need for one pci-e power adapter aside. I was only running 2 hard drives though.

OT: If you're still using that thing or intend to use it in the future, pop the lid off and check the caps (unplug it first and be careful; there's enough voltage in a PS to BBQ you, even-potentially-one that's been unplugged if it's defective or not designed properly) Both of my TP550s had leaking caps when I pulled them a few years back, and if yours are bulging/leaking at all that thing is a time bomb that needs to be either recapped or chucked.

Back