Upgrade Windows 10 on fresh drive?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
I go the notice I can upgrade to windows 10 but I want to do it on a fresh drive. Is there an ISO file out there I can use to install it? Will the Win 8.1 key I have work during install or will I have to install 8.1 first and then upgrade?

You can perform a clean install after you upgrade.

But an upgrade is basically a clean install anyway.

But an upgrade is basically a clean install anyway.
Except when you're on an HDD and it installs 10 into the inner (slower) part of your drive.

OP. I just put together a new system. I installed 7 on the system with an old HDD I had laying around, then upgraded to 10. Once I received the SSD for the system I pulled out the HDD, put in the SSD, and clean installed 10.

You download the ISO using the Windows 10 media creation tool. But remember you have to go through the upgrade process once to get an activated copy.

Terpfen is right, you can do a clean install after you upgrade, during which a Win 10 key is created. The Windows 8.1 key won't work for a fresh install of Win 10(I tried it). Activate the install and then you can do a fresh install of 10 on the other drive since the motherboard ID will be saved in MS database.

Here is the tool to make an ISO / USB drive install:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Except when you're on an HDD and it installs 10 into the inner (slower) part of your drive.

Except when it removes your old install into a separate area and then installs over where your original install was.

If you successfully upgraded and activated an existing machine that has an 'Activated' copy of windows 7 or higher then you can wipe and reload the machine with a clean ISO install
(I recommend rufus for CSM/UEFI installs from USB)

Just skip the key entry!

I had planned on using Rufus and doing an UEFI install on an Intel 750.. Will I need an NVME driver during install or am I covered in Windows 10? Also I have heard of a lot of guys having network issues with Windows 10? I think it's mostly wireless problems.

You can choose to upgrade without saving data to save a step.

As far as network issues, One machine eventually had problems with it's Ethernet network card not seeing the LAN until you disabled and reenabled it but a clean reinstall fixed that. otherwise zero problems.

You can choose to upgrade without saving data to save a step.

As far as network issues, One machine eventually had problems with it's Ethernet network card not seeing the LAN until you disabled and reenabled it but a clean reinstall fixed that. otherwise zero problems.

Thx, I am suspecting its my IP Vanish software creating issues. both me and the guy having problems use it.

Just a heads up.. I never received a KEY during my upgrade. It did activate after the upgrade. At that point I put in my new drive (Intel 750 400gb) and started to install Windows 10 fresh. I was prompted 2 times to provide a key during the installation but was able to see the small "skip" button to go past that. When I got into Windows 10 It activated just by asking it to activate. My guess is Microsoft already knew from last activation that my setup had a Win10 license and no key was ever provided by me. There might have been a different route for the upgrade the rest of you took.. *shrug*

The upgrade process - actually if you reserved a copy of Windows 10 in the recent past before it was released - created the hardware hash aka installation ID which is stored on Microsoft's servers so the Product Key is no longer necessary. Only a retail full purchase of Windows 10 requires a Product Key (and one comes in the package with it) - the Enterprise edition does as well but it uses MAKs so they're not even something you can buy as a consumer anyway since they have to be purchased in mass quantities and not single licenses.

Anyway, once you do the upgrade - which is what Microsoft is offering: a free upgrade to Windows 10 - the hardware hash is then used to handle the activation for clean installs afterward on the same hardware.

The upgrade process - actually if you reserved a copy of Windows 10 in the recent past before it was released - created the hardware hash aka installation ID which is stored on Microsoft's servers so the Product Key is no longer necessary. Only a retail full purchase of Windows 10 requires a Product Key (and one comes in the package with it) - the Enterprise edition does as well but it uses MAKs so they're not even something you can buy as a consumer anyway since they have to be purchased in mass quantities and not single licenses.

Anyway, once you do the upgrade - which is what Microsoft is offering: a free upgrade to Windows 10 - the hardware hash is then used to handle the activation for clean installs afterward on the same hardware.

Yup!

Back