• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade vs overclock consideration for Planetside 2 rig

WarningFromSpace

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
88
Greetings,

I am currently seeking advice on what to upgrade/replace for a Planetside 2 specific gaming rig with video capture possibilities. Price is flexible around 600.00. All current hardware can and will be reused if possible.

Currently research has resulted in the possibility of sticking with the 2500k. The replacement CPU for the 200-220 range seems to be the 3570k which is comparable. Overclocking will be done as CPU cooling and case airflow is great.

Big question is on such a small budget would upgrading be favored to overclocking?
Planetside 2 seems to be very CPU intensive while compatibly light on graphics card. I will begin scouring the PS2 post to identify people who have upgrade specifically for the game. For those who stumble across this post I would appreciate your input whether or not you play. Thank you [H]ardOCP!

Current specs are:
GFX: Radeon HD 6850 1 GB
CPU: i5 2500k (stock)
CPU cooler: Antec kuhler 620
HDD: 2x 1tb Segate 7200rpm
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-550VX
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws (2x4g) DDR3 1600
MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Sound: onboard
Monitors: 27 & 24 @1920x1080


I am not near a Mircocenter or Frys.

No peripherals needed

If any rules have been broken I will delete right away
 
If Planetside 2 is as CPU-intensive as you say -- I have no experience with the game myself -- then overclocking the i5-2500K should be enough. The Antec kuhler 620 is more than capable of handling the increased heat from the CPU overclock.

But the overclocking performance of ASRock boards can be inconsistent, based on the [H]ard|OCP reviews on a few of them. Some users here swear by them, though, so my advice is to try overclocking the i5-2500K with what you have first.

If you don't feel the need to upgrade the motherboard, you can use your $600 budget to add a 240GB-256GB SSD as your primary drive and replace your HD 6850 with a current-generation mid-range video card. You can choose, for example:

$250 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
$300 - EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-3662-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB

These upgrades plus the CPU overclock should maximize your frame rates while playing Planetside 2. Hell, they'd bring noticeable improvements to just about any game you play on your system.
 
Last edited:
My main machine has the Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 mb and it OC's very nice, stable, and no problems. I also have the kuhler 620 and my temps running prime95/ibt are around 70ish, which is far from the max temp(100?) so no problem there. I went with the low pro samsung memory sticks(4x4).
I wouldnt get the 3570K since its only about 200-300 mhz faster clock for clock, not worth it.

Tiraides post would be good and within budget.
 
Big thanks tiraides and Hagrid!

I have purchased a new gtx 660, 128gb SSD, and two 2tb drives. Can't wait to overclock again too.
 
Planetside 2 does seem very cpu intensive. I have an i7 860 at 3.7ghz and it is usually CPU limited on a 7970 even at 2560x1440.

Crazy.

Interestingly the game tells you whether it is being cpu or gpu limited. I haven't seen that feature before.
 
Back
Top