Upgrade Vid card or Ram for gaming...

moro

Weaksauce
My gaming PC is getting long in the tooth but I am not quite ready to replace it yet. When I do, I will build a compleatly new PC and use this one as a secondary. So I am not worried about forward compatability hardware wise.

I play a few FPS games but not hard. Mostly I play MMORGS, RPGs, and RTS. Current flavor is World of Warcraft. I do some desktop work etc, but I have a laptop I do most of my buisness on.

Current setup is:

Abit NF7-S
Barton mobile OC'd to 2260 (205x11)
512M (2x256) Crucial (value) 2,4,4,10 running dual channel
GF Ti4200 OC'd a bit faster then a Ti4600
Hitachi 160 gig SATA
Win XP

I ran the CPU at 215x11 but it became unstable after a year. I have not tested enough to know if its the CPU or RAM that is fussy.

So, I have about US$150 to spend on a lil upgrade to this PC. I am not sure wich would be a better upgrade. Going to 1gig (2x512) or getting a new Vid Card.

I am looking at
Corsair XMS

XFX Geforce 6800

So, for a last upgrade for a gaming machine that will be relagated to a secondary in a few months... wich is a better bang for the buck? I do not plan on saving up and spending more on this PC as it will be replaced by anouther PC in the not to distant future.

**EDIT**
Ok, lemme restate this anouther way. When I buy a new system I will STILL use this one. It runs WoW ok but would like it a bit faster. The $150 I am spending on this one is just some spare spending money from the way I budget things. It won't effect what I spend on the new system. When I buy the new system probly gonna go with a SLI mobo and one maybe 2 top of the line 7800's. Money for it not an issue.

I vote for saving that money for the new computer if you're going to be upgrading in the not too distant future.

I agree, save for a new rig and don't upgrade your current one at all.
wink.gif

Otherwise, keep a close watch on the FS/FT forum and score a deal to upgrade both in your current setup.

Back