upgrade to z87 now or wait for z170 later?

PontiacGTX

Gawd
I am thinking about buying a another mobo but I dont know if the Asrock z87 OC Formula has a PLX to support 4 Way GPUs, or if i should spend 100% more thna the asrock price and see if I cna find a cheap quality z170 with 4 PCie, and buy ram(DDR4) and CPU(and a cheap placeholder)

You want to support 4 GPUs and also cheap out? Is this for gaming or crypto?

well I have always wante ot run a quad gpu setup but I wa scurious about what woudl eb abetter choice spend 2x for a z170 or get a z87?

well I have always wante ot run a quad gpu setup but I wa scurious about what woudl eb abetter choice spend 2x for a z170 or get a z87?

You should be looking at the Intel HEDT platforms for improved PCIE lanes support. The chipsets you are looking at don't have enough PCIE lanes for a worthwhile experience with 4x GPU gaming.

x4 3.0 should be enough bandwidth for gpus, even with PLX they do x8,they seem to be ok for games

I don't believe that this is such a good time to do this now since the current crop of NV GPUs will only do 2 way SLI and AMD GPUs are not very competitive at the ultra high end...

4-way SLI/Xfire has never really worked; it's always been for the competitive benchmarkers (3DMark and Heaven are carefully optimized to scale well on 4-way configurations)

if you are competitively benchmarking you will need an X99 board; the lack of real PCIe lanes (and cores!) will cause the Z-series chipsets to always turn out slightly lower numbers than the X-series.

if you are competitively benchmarking you will need an X99 board; the lack of real PCIe lanes (and cores!) will cause the Z-series chipsets to always turn out slightly lower numbers than the X-series.

wlel if I were on a budget, I would go mainstream, the cheapest x99 cpu is 300usd

This really sounds like a build that can only disappoint.

If you want to bench high, you will need X99, and you will need to pay for it.

If you want to game, having four GPUs is a waste and will not scale well.

You should probably just stop wasting your time and money, and build a "normal" system with the best components you can afford that will *actually do the job you need them to do*.

This really sounds like a build that can only disappoint.

If you want to bench high, you will need X99, and you will need to pay for it.

If you want to game, having four GPUs is a waste and will not scale well.

You should probably just stop wasting your time and money, and build a "normal" system with the best components you can afford that will *actually do the job you need them to do*.

^This

Back