Upgrade to Windows 10 from 7 getting stuck at 69%

Ryland

2[H]4U
Im finally trying to upgrade a Windows 7 Ultimate desktop to Windows 10 and find that it keeps getting stuck at various percentages. Is there any way to figure out WHY its getting stuck so that I can fix it? I will leave it on 7 if I cant upgrade it because there is so much stuff already installed on this box.

Im finally trying to upgrade a Windows 7 Ultimate desktop to Windows 10 and find that it keeps getting stuck at various percentages. Is there any way to figure out WHY its getting stuck so that I can fix it? I will leave it on 7 if I cant upgrade it because there is so much stuff already installed on this box.

Unplug all but necessary hardware for the upgrade, including extra hdds and usb.

Sure. I dont have a lot of extra hardware connected but there is a spare HDD and webcam that I can unplug.

When you say "gets stuck" do you mean it sits there for 20 minutes and you get impatient and cancel it, or it sits at 69% for 12 hours?

I mean it sat at 69% from 10Pm last night until 7:30am this morning.

You would be better off doing a fresh install. I've never been a fan of "upgrades".

He can only do a clean install if he has the Windows 7 key available to put in. Otherwise, he is going to have to do the upgrade first just to get it to take, just saying.

I have the same issue when trying to upgrade to 1709 or anything newer. So I'm still on some old 15xx version of Windows 10.

You would be better off doing a fresh install. I've never been a fan of "upgrades".
Thanks to the stupid way Windows software is installed, upgrade is the only way people can keep their programs unfortunately.

I guess I'm too organized. I have all my installation CD's/DVD's, and a database with all the serial codes.

I guess I'm too organized. I have all my installation CD's/DVD's, and a database with all the serial codes.
And apparently time to go through all the activation processes on reinstall, restore saved games from 20 different locations, restore personal files and databases... Suddenly that upgrade seems pretty sweet.

I think I know what the problem is after looking through the log last night. I have been choosing to install updates as part of the installation and one of those updates is failing to get added to the installation. I will try again tonight with not choosing that option.

I have a ton of programs I would have to reinstall, reactivate, etc if I went the fresh installation mode. I do have the original Windows 7 Ultimate key around. I will stick with Win7 vs doing a fresh installation of Win 10 on this machine since its only sporting an i5-2600k which I havent gotten around to overclocking yet.

I think I know what the problem is after looking through the log last night. I have been choosing to install updates as part of the installation and one of those updates is failing to get added to the installation. I will try again tonight with not choosing that option.

I have a ton of programs I would have to reinstall, reactivate, etc if I went the fresh installation mode. I do have the original Windows 7 Ultimate key around. I will stick with Win7 vs doing a fresh installation of Win 10 on this machine since its only sporting an i5-2600k which I havent gotten around to overclocking yet.

I recommend downloading the media creation tool, creating a usb installer and upgrading from that.

Back