Upgrade to OPY 165 or Go Core2Duo ?

ReTiCuLeX

Gawd
Hi all, I'm still on Socket 939 AMD4000+ w/ 2Gigs DDR1 ram and a X1900 XT card.
I'm really looking to upgrade to play some of the newer games smoother, like Rainbow Six Vegas, Unreal 3 coming out etc..

Should I just buy an Opteron 165 S939, or go for a whole new setup (mobo, cpu, ddr2 Ram) ?

A Core 2 Duo setup would cost me around $550 if I bought a E6300, Mobo and Decent OCing DDR2 ram for around $220-240 (2gigs).

What should I do ya think? If I blow $550 I will have like $50 to my name lmao however; if C2Duo is a lot better of an upgrade, I rather work overtime.

Thanks in advance,
- ReT

Personally I'd grab an Opteron if you have a decent board that can take 300+ HTT clock.

I upgraded my aging assed A8V Deluxe to an A8R32-MVP and got myself a 8800gtx, the way this system is now is fast enough just at 2.8ghz with a single core venice 3000+ oc.

I'm buying an opteron 180 today, Hoping to OC it to at least 2.7ghz or 2.8ghz (hopefully 2.8-2.9)

It will last well until the end of the AM2 socket, When AMD Unleashed their intel killer.
Thats when Im upgrading,
939 as it is now, is a great and very mature socket.

Just buy a nice 939 dual core cpu.

But hurry up, since AMD is phasing out s939
cpus so they can mainly produce AM2s.

yeah its very hard to find a dual core X2 or opteron it seems, lol, and suddenly

topaimz said:
But hurry up, since AMD is phasing out s939
cpus so they can mainly produce AM2s.

QFT if you are going to do it you have to do it soon. It looks like I got one of the last 170s off the egg. They have gone up in price and have been in and out of stock for the last couple days. People are buying these because the X2s are gone. Grab one while you can.

I just ordered an Opteron 165 for 156 from ZZF.
I'm imagining I will be quite satisfied with my purchase for the price I paid after I OC it.
For the price, this is probably the best upgrade if you're S939 and have a good cooler.

indeed.

Even if you get a bad stepping, you'll be able to push that
1.8ghz to 2.5ghz ranges. :)

Okay Guys, guess I'll grab one of those for now, and another Crossfire Edition Card of the X1900 XT sounds good?

naw, don't go crossfire, just save that money
and make more to buy yourself a R600.

It'll probably overperform x1900s in crossfire, and
also support DX10 in the process ;)

topaimz said:
naw, don't go crossfire, just save that money
and make more to buy yourself a R600.

It'll probably overperform x1900s in crossfire, and
also support DX10 in the process ;)
Well umm just a quick comment to help the OP. I'd suggest you do buy another one, because for one thing who knows when the R600 will be released (and if someone does :p, sorry because I'm not following ATi, I'm an nVidia guy), second once it comes out, it will be up to another 3 months until they release mature drivers that satisfy everyone. Third, DX10 will be useless for at least a year or two, unless you really want to be one of the first and only people to play DX10 games, because older versions of DX took a long time to phase out

Thanks, I'm still considering what to do. So far not many people play Rb6 Vegas online, which is the only reason I'd need to go crossfire, to play with over 30FPS at all times lol.

I did pick up a OPY 165 today though at the egg for 155 shipped.

with my mobo and how cool all this shit runs I am not gonna upgrade until amd answers conroes and even then I may wait. I haven't found anything that really taxes my system so what if its not the fastest machine on earth.

cide_ said:
I upgraded my aging assed A8V Deluxe to an A8R32-MVP and got myself a 8800gtx, the way this system is now is fast enough just at 2.8ghz with a single core venice 3000+ oc.

I'm buying an opteron 180 today, Hoping to OC it to at least 2.7ghz or 2.8ghz (hopefully 2.8-2.9)

It will last well until the end of the AM2 socket, When AMD Unleashed their intel killer.
Thats when Im upgrading,
939 as it is now, is a great and very mature socket.

that mobo is killer isn't it, Its gotta be the best I ever pwned

Back