• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade to 6800GT?

Raaben

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 23, 2005
Messages
82
I've been thinking about buying a 6800GT for my system, but I was wondering: Will my 2.5ghz P4 be holding it back?
 
Slightly - but at this point it's relative. If you can upgrade to a better CPU or CPU mobo combo in the near future i wouldn't worry about it. If your mobo will take a 3.0/3.2 Ghz you could do that. Or go for a A643000/3200+ CPU mobo combo deal.
 
Yes, I was looking at a better processor (3.0ghz with HT) that will fit in my mobo, but I don't have the cash for both at the same time. When it comes to that part, I was thinking of saving a bit more cash and shelling out for a new mobo with an AMD 64. Dang, it sucks being unemployed :p
 
I wouldn't worry about bottlenecking, bottlenecking is good, it means you have performance you can tweak out of your system.

Go for it.

Edit: I feel I must expand on what I meant by bottlenecking is good... I meant in this type of instance when you have a cpu that is almost up to snuff (+- 500mhz) to handle a gpu, it is ok to bottleneck the gpu because you can OC a little bit and be at the 3ghz mark and be fully utilizing it. And if you don't OC, secondary tweaking methods can be used such as driver updates, OS optimizations, etc.

~Adam
 
SEALTeamSix said:
hmm, that's... unconventional... :rolleyes:

-SEAL


I'll gladly debate it with you if you wish, unconventional or not; I think I'm right. Not all bottlenecking is bad.

~Adam
 
CleanSlate said:
I'll gladly debate it with you if you wish, unconventional or not; I think I'm right. Not all bottlenecking is bad.

~Adam
Not trying to be a wysen Hymmer :)
But not much of an argument
Need more to go on
 
I made a statement, I said "not all bottlenecking is bad", which is the antithesis of the norm that "bottlenecking is bad".

~Adam
 
Raaben said:
Right now I have a Radeon 9800PRO 128 meg card.
I had a 5950Ultra that my son is runnin in his 3.somethin P4 oem HP and if I didn't have the GT in my rig to compare the two, I wouldn't feel let down
I'd save your kaasch to do a bottom to top upgrade
Of course if your having problems with programs
well that's another kettel of fish now isn't it :D
 
CleanSlate said:
I made a statement, I said "not all bottlenecking is bad", which is the antithesis of the norm that "bottlenecking is bad".

~Adam

Ok
but why?
 
I stated that in my edit in my first post. At least in this instance as to why it wouldn't be bad.

~Adam
 
Sorry didn't see the edit
Ok but wouldn't the card output be faster if the cpu could handle everthing thrown at it?
 
well if it is bottlenecking your system, your performance with a 6800GT would seem similar to that of a lower card. Without bottlenecking, you will properly see the performance difference between cards.

And I agree with Adam to an extent, if we are talking about a stock cpu bottlenecking a system, then that is good b/c your OC will give you a big performance increase. If you are already OCed to the brink and are still bottlenecked, then that's bad. I think that is what Adam is saying.
 
Heh, this is exactly what I did (still doing...). I have a PNY 6800GT with a 2.26GHz P4 with no HT and a 533MHz FSB. I got the card knowing that it wouldn't be utilized to it's full potentional, and a later upgrade would allow it to be better used. I just bought an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice CPU and a Gigabyte K8NSC-939 today. I have yet to install it. The only bad thing about doing what I did was it kept me from getting a board with PCI Express, and had to get an AGP board. But it's all good :p

So yea, if you know you are going to upgrade, get it. But don't get it if you aren't going to upgrade for some time. You're paying for performance you won't get, and if you wait to long, it'll become obsolete.
 
In the realm of OCing yes it is what I am saying Russ.

Also, Matrox is a good example of why I think it can be good, if he had been abl eot OC his CPU to 800fsb he would have been using the card pretty much 100% of its potential.

Upgrading is something to consider, if you are going to upgrade your cpu/mobo soon and you know you like to keep hardware until it dies or about 3 years then buying it now would be fine because in a year when you upgrade you'll have 2 years left with that card in good condition. Or you can sell it, I mean honestly selling stuff is a good option as well.

~Adam
 
Yeah, I think I am going to buy that card now and maybe OC my system a bit. I will save my cash after that (won't take all too long, since I am selling my old card to a friend as well) and get a better processor for my board. Thanks for the advice guys.
 
CleanSlate said:
I meant in this type of instance when you have a cpu that is almost up to snuff (+- 500mhz) to handle a gpu, it is ok to bottleneck the gpu because you can OC a little bit and be at the 3ghz mark and be fully utilizing it. And if you don't OC, secondary tweaking methods can be used such as driver updates, OS optimizations, etc.

But by OCing / tweaking he would be eliminating the bottleneck... maybe you mean to say having performance to spare from stock parts is good, so that you can eliminate bottlenecks.

-SEAL
 
Back
Top