Upgrade to 4790K or wait?

you don't have to do that.. just use your same driver and install the OS over the same partition.. it will recognize already a version of windows installed and then it will proceed to create a Windows.old folder with ALL your information, software, apps, games etc.. you have just to Cut and paste in your new Program Files folders, User folders etc.. then when you have all done just delete the windows.old folder to save again the space.. you will have all your files but with a fresh install of windows..
Thanks but nah.. I like to do a fresh install and format the drives. I might have been exaggerating a bit because I'm about done right now. I transferred the images etc to my back up drives and that's about it.
But it has happened that I forget things like deactivating some program that have limited amount of activations and things like that. So that's what takes up most of the time going through everything over and over to make sure I haven't forgot anything :p

I changed my mind once again and ordered 4790K. I can post some comparisons between i5 750 @3.6GHz and 4790K in different games if you want.

As Araxie said, this won't be necessary. If you could please post here with your personal observations of the new 4790 :)

man even a 2500K at 4.5ghz ins't able to provide the enough horsepower in recent games, not matter the resolution.. of course the higher the resolution the more GPU limited you are but that does not mean you will use less CPU power.. do not confuse people.. you are underestimating the CPU power needed to feed recent games and how weak its today a CPU like that old i5 750.. as i said even a 2500K overclocked isn't just able to provide more than 45-50FPS stables much less to talk being locked at 60FPS which its what more people aim.. and that apply to any resolution specially with multi GPU as the CPU overhead its increased even a recent i3 haswell will do a better job gaming than that old i5 750..

You've provided zero evidence besides a bunch of excessive ellipsis usage and calling me a liar, fool, "trashtaker"[sic], "BS"er, etc. Go back to your imaginary world mate and stop crapping up the thread.

OP: I think you made the right call with the upgrade, you should see some huge gains stock-to-stock. If you want to bench them as a comparison, clock 'em both up to 3.6 and turn off turbo.

If you want to get really technical about it, you can do one bench at 800x600 with all graphics at minimum, and then a second at your monitor's native resolution with all graphics set to playable maximum (i.e. no 16x SSAA ;)). I expect you'll see huge gains at 800x600 and relatively little at 1080p max settings, in the vast majority of modern good-looking games.

If you were to add a second GTX 980 and reduce your settings to medium, I guarantee you'd see even bigger gains from this upgrade.

Last edited:
I just ended up going from i7 920 to xeon x5650 and bumped the memory to 12GB, great upgrade.
going to wait for cheaper ddr4 and next gen cpu before considering upgrading.

Hey, I got the components today and installed everything. I have just installed drivers etc, going to download Windows updates and program next.
Anyway I want your opinion on something, while I was installing the Noctua heatsink I thoght both screws were tighhtened but when I released my hand from it slowly It would come loose again. And for a few seconds I had to remove it completely and aligned it again and screwed it in place.
Would you have cleaned it off and reapplied new thermal paste in that situation? I followed Noctuas instructions and applied one drop in the middle.

I don't know if it has anything to do with it but when using HWMonitor to check the temps the CPU is kind of jumping up and down, it's around 30 degrees celcius and every other second it goes up or down 5 or more degrees. Maybe it's just not displaying correctly?
Is 30 degrees good for a NH-D15 and 4790K? I haven't tested any programs/games yet so I don't know load temps.

That's normal behaviour. I've noticed that 'dancing' idle temp phenomenon since I'vy Bridge. I think it's because the sensors in these chips respond quicker than previous CPUs.

As for the idle temps themselves, they mean nothing unless you specify:

- Ambient temp
- Fans used
- Fan speed
- Clock speed at time of reading (are C-States enabled, Turbo, etc.?)
- Is HT enabled

My 4790k idles at 30 degrees at 17 degrees ambient. It's cooled by a NH-U12S with a single NF-F12 PWM fan running at a very low rpm (controlled by the motherboard's 'standard' profile). HT is disabled, and so are Turbo and all C-States/EIST, so it idles at 4GHz.

Idle temps still don't really mean much. My CPU could idle at 50 degrees, but if I had a fan profile that defined an extremely low idle rpm, that temp could be considered perfectly normal. Of course, If the fan was at 85%, then that same temp would signify a problem.

For those talking about excessive load temps in 4790Ks, I think a lot of boards overvolt these CPUs when turbo is enabled. I run mine at stock speeds on a Gigabyte z97 board, and if I enable Turbo and run AVX Prime95 (28.5), the VCORE shoots up to 1.2v and the temp climbs to 90+ degrees. However, when I disable Turbo the VCORE doesn't go above 1.061 under the same test, and the maximum temp is 76 degrees at 25 ambient. This is fine by me, because Turbo is a stupid gimmick and I'm happy to disable it anyway.
It's around 20 degrees in the room.
I currently use 2 fans, the two 140mm 1000rpm Fractal fans that came with the case. One in the front and one in the back. I have 5 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm in my old case and I was thinking about using maybe one or two of those, but the temps seem good anyway and the computer is so quiet compared to my other case so I might leave it as it is now.
The speed of my two 140mm fans are most of the time set to half speed by a fan controller.

To be honest I don't know about Trubo, HT etc right now. I haven't changed any of those settings in BIOS. Do you know if they are on by default?

And about the 4790K, I've tested some games and programs and I'm noticing a significant FPS boost. Everything in general feels faster. The two games I've tried so far are Arma 3 and DCS World and compared to my i5 750 when set to 3.6GHz the fps has increased by around 20-30 or more on 1440P and the same graphical settings. It also doesn't dip down as much as the 750 did when there is much going on.
So far I'm happy with the upgrade.

I changed my mind once again and ordered 4790K. I can post some comparisons between i5 750 @3.6GHz and 4790K in different games if you want.

I think you made the right choice. I was in a similar situation, only I was coming from an i7-930 to a 4770K. HIgher clock speeds, way better IPC, lower power draw made it a win/win/win.

Since the 4790k boost to 4.4Ghz already you won't have to worry about overclocking it. :)

Hey Snel how are you finding the new CPU? I'm thinking of making the same jump as you did. Have you got anymore before and after benchmarks?

Back