Upgrade to 3770K?

PolygonGTC

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently have a 2600K and the 3770K is the top of what I'll be able to get for my 1155 board. I've been contemplating upgrading. I use the system to do video encoding and editing. I also do a lot of photo work and audio encoding as well.

The question is, would I see enough of an increase to make it worth it?

Nah don't do it. If you really want to upgrade wait for Haswell.

I did the upgrade from [email protected] to 3770k@4500ghz.. the difference in tests is like 2 or 3%... in real use you don't see any difference...

I sold my 2600K for the price of the 3770k, that is the only reason for my upgrade.

If I had to put any money, I wouldn't do it.

Sorry to hijack but what if you have an i5 750? Would it be worth it or should I wait for Haswell?

No point in 'upgrading' to from one dead socket to another.

Haswell is indeed an upgrade from even Ivy, so both for the OP and the guy right above me - wait.

The only reason I can see him wanting to upgrade is because the 3770K is $229 at Micro Center and he wont have to buy a new mobo, amirite?

If I were to get an IB CPU I wouldnt do it unless I was getting a z77 as well, which is why I am waiting.

Not worth the upgrade. See if you can get >4.5ghz out of your current chip.

That's what I figured. I found a great deal on one, but 2-3% isn't worth anything unless the upgrade wouldn't cost me anything. I think I'll upgrade my video card instead, maybe add an SSD. Thanks for the info.

Oh, and yes, my 2600 is overclocked.

EDIT: Oh, and techie, I wouldn't get an 1155 if you have to change sockets anyhow. Get something that will be supported a bit longer or wait for the next socket to come out.

Last edited:
Back