Upgrade to 290X from GTX770 2gb?

MaZa

2[H]4U
Should I make this jump? 290X seems to amazing card, a Titan killer in some games and quite affordable too. The Asus Matrix ROG is about 350€ and Gigabyte Windforce 10€ more here in Finland. Not quite as good deal as in the states but still. GTX770 is still a great card and maxes out most games in 1080p but since I have gotten a taste in downsampling (with and without DSR) it has its limitations in current games. The performance takes a clear nosedive when I go above 1080p.

Now the AMD is soon coming with a new 300 serie cards and some are eagerly waiting for those but would a 300 serie card that is equivalent or more powerful than 290X be as cheap as it is today? I bet they will be clearly above 400€ for quite some time.

We wont know until the 300 series comes out, however the 290x is a good card. However, if you want to downsample and get good fps a single 290x won't be enough for everything.

I have a r9-290 and run everything at 3200/1800 and no performance issues. No need for MSAA/SSAA. So I would wager R9-290x will be less of an issue at all.

I don't think it would be a big enough upgrade to be worth the price. When the 300 series releases you will know for sure, but I have a feeling that whatever card you will find for that price will be better than a 290x.

Maybe I'll just wait and see. Even if the equivalent would be more expensive the people upgrading from 290X may will sell theirs used for cheap.

I just sold my both 2gb 680s which are basically the same as the gtx 770. Because 2gb just doesn't cut it. I found my system hitting the 2gb ceiling a lot. I am now looking for a 4+ gb card or cards. Games played @ 1080p with everything maxed out i.e. skyrim heavily modded and bf4 on ultra

I just sold my both 2gb 680s which are basically the same as the gtx 770. Because 2gb just doesn't cut it. I found my system hitting the 2gb ceiling a lot. I am now looking for a 4+ gb card or cards. Games played @ 1080p with everything maxed out i.e. skyrim heavily modded and bf4 on ultra

Just so you know, unfortunately most new games have been getting into the 3.5-3.7gb usage at 1080p maxed out. Not all, but the last two games I have played both do. (Dying Light and Evolve)

Back