Upgrade time input requested

Wait for Coffee Lake to come out. Two additional cores for roughly the same price.

Consider getting 16 GB (2 x 8) RAM.

What are you planning on doing with this system that's CPU-limited? Specific games you're having issues with, or particular programs you like to run?

I don't see a ram upgrade or video card upgrade there, so JUST CPU?

And your current peripheral bandwidth isn't an issue, since you have native PCIe 3.0, native USB 3, and native SATA 6.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply guys. My build is 5 yrs old and the socket is eol. I am definitely upgrading soon so I can sell my cpu, mobo and ram while they still have some value. The machine works, so this is more of a longevity move than a performance upgrade. As for the ram suggestion I only use 5 of the 8 gigs I have now so I fail to see how upgrading to 16 gigs would help anything.

Thanks for the reply guys. My build is 5 yrs old and the socket is eol. I am definitely upgrading soon so I can sell my cpu, mobo and ram while they still have some value. The machine works, so this is more of a longevity move than a performance upgrade. As for the ram suggestion I only use 5 of the 8 gigs I have now so I fail to see how upgrading to 16 gigs would help anything.

The "value" equation of an upgrade is relative: the reason people will still give you high dollar for your trade-in is because the parts you are upgrading to are only marginally faster.

If you're not seeing a case where your current system is holding you back, holding on to it for 2-3 more years is a much better value.

Coffee Lake will drop the resale value of Core i5s, but not drastically. You're spending $550 on parts two years before you have to here, so who's the smart one with their money?

If you can get at least half that cost from reselling your current system it might be worth, but it would be marginal. You don't have to jump on the upgrade treadmill "just because." If your system is perfectly stable and does what you need skip for the next couple years

Last edited:

Agree with above, if this is simply a side-grade for the express reason of being more 'up to date'... save the money. You may not get as much for your system when you *need* the upgrade, but you'll end up saving money when you factor in not buying the new parts now.

My last upgrade from 4770K to R7 1700 was a side grade also. From GTX 980 SLI to 1080Ti. And I can easily say I am happier with my new system. I thought my 850 EVO was fast, the 960 is smooth as butter. I obviously can't tell much difference as far as gaming goes but everything else runs just a little bit better. Faster ram. Much quieter cooling. Pretty RGB lights. Its all aesthetics and dropping over 2G for such small improvements is definitely not practical but since when was being [H] about being practical? :)

Plenty of people will be upgrading to Coffee from much faster systems than what you currently have so do what you like. In your spot I'd definitely be upgrading an i5 Ivy Bridge. You are probably better off waiting on Volta for a GPU upgrade at this point if your not into buying top of the line GPUs. Your storage could definitely use some improvement. As far as 8 vs 16GB. I wouldn't rely totally on what you think you currently use. Windows controls memory so that you don't necessarily run out of physical but you could be using page file memory more than you think. Just sitting at my desktop with a few browsers and a couple apps open I'm at over 6GB usage but I have 32GB for Windows to play with and I definitely see it make use of it more than my old system with 16GB.

I am happy with my 970 so the only things I was thinking of upgrading is the cpu, mobo and ram.

Back