• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade time (from a 560 ti)

Jaer44

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 20, 2011
Messages
134
I currently have a 560 TI, it's served me very well, and for the most part continues to do so, but I'm finding that some of the new titles I've purchased (bioshock infinite for example) I'm unable to run Ultra on everything anymore.

I don't game as much as I've used to, but I'd like to make sure I'm able to continue to play everything without worrying too much about requirements.

I have an I7 @ 3.2
8g ram
1 TB hdd, etc..

I play on a 30" 1920x1080 monitor

I've been looking at the differences between a Geforce 660/670 and 680, but to be honest, I don't know if spending ~500$ will be worth it for me. So I'm leaning toward a 660 or 670, or maybe an AMD card instead.

Any suggestions?
 
Depends of your budget. Now that the GTX660 is coming for $199 I think its your best bet. If you want to jump ship then the 7950 is even better.
 
The 680 isn't worth the $100 price premium over the 670. The 670 come to within a couple frames of the 680 so that's the one I'd go for. If $375 is out of your range, the GTX660Ti or a Tahiti 7870 are awfully good "value" choices.
 
Radeon HD7870XT from sapphire or MSI 660Ti power edition is what I would go for both are highly clockable and very good $/performance value.
 
Do you think you'll play BF4? Might as well plan ahead.

660 Ti prices came down due, check those out.
 
You'll likely be disappointed upgrading from a 560ti to anything less than a 660ti or 7870.
 
I have 560ti as well and decided to wait until the end of the year for when new AMD cards will come out (or so I hear rumors regarding the release date).
 
You'll likely be disappointed upgrading from a 560ti to anything less than a 660ti or 7870.

OP said he wanted ultra on new games and that's not cheap.

But this also might be a brief window to sell the 560 Ti for a higher price.

Not really to a savvy buyer, but to someone who just would search Amazon or other sites... before the 1GB 650 Ti Boost, etc. all come out.
 
@ Singe: Not so sure on BF4, I have BF3 and have little to no time into the game actually. I generally play MMO's or single player type games (e.g. bioshock, dishonored etc..). I can't say for sure that I wouldn't pick up BF4 or something like that, it's always a possibility.

The 670 keeps popping up whenever I do searches, if I end up spending 300-400$ for a card, I need to make sure that it lasts the life of my current PC (probably another 3 years maybe).
 
If you didn't already own Bioshock: Infinite it would be in the AMD bundle. Or they are being sold in FS/FT.

After a massive $50 rebate on huevonuevo the PNY GTX 670 is $299, not sure about brand preference. And there's an in-game currency bundle.

You don't have to justify $300-400 for the card. But I don't know how three years will play out, in March 2010 the big spenders got a 5870 or the $499 GTX 480/ $349 470, things change but those might be decent for reference.

Isn't there a new Unreal engine that could make some games more demanding?
 
Last edited:
OP said he wanted ultra on new games and that's not cheap.

But this also might be a brief window to sell the 560 Ti for a higher price.

Not really to a savvy buyer, but to someone who just would search Amazon or other sites... before the 1GB 650 Ti Boost, etc. all come out.

Yea… thats why I listed the bare minimum upgrade he should look at, at 1080p either card should handle any game at max settings even new releases (except maybe crysis 3). He should look for best pprice to performance. Id suggest either the 7870 le tahiti or 7950. Op should get between 120-150 for his 560ti used.
 
Unreal engine 4 is being used now in some of the new titles, which supports full dx11 i believe.
 
You already have Bioshock so a 7870XT will cost you $160 after you sell the games, a 7950 about $210. A good dual-fan 670 will run you about $370 and perform about the same. Whether it's worth the money is up to you. If you want it to last three years go with the latter two.
 
Depends of your budget. Now that the GTX660 is coming for $199 I think its your best bet. If you want to jump ship then the 7950 is even better.
a plain 660 is only about 30% faster than a 560ti. the lowest card he should consider from Nvidia is a 660ti.


"I play on a 30" 1920x1080 monitor" OP, I have never even heard of a monitor like that.
 
Back
Top