Upgrade suggestions from a 2500K

TheCommander

2[H]4U
Im looking to upgrade my current rig- namely the CPU/mobo/RAM. I currently have an overclocked 2500K setup and the GPU is a GTX 980 and runs games well.

I mostly use the machine for gaming but also sometimes use it for computational engineering / numerical analysis software. There have been times, although rare, when the computer gets bogged down.

I was looking at Haswell-E, Broadwell-E, and Skylake. The 6700K is almost the same price as the 5820K. The 6800K is not far off in price. I've been waiting a while to upgrade but Intel hasnt come out with anything impressive so for a while I have been thinking if its a worth it to upgrade but am kind of caving in and am looking to purchase one of those CPUs. If I did purchase one of them, I'd only be be doing a modest overclock. Im also looking for it to be a bit future proof- maybe 4 to 5 years just like Sandy Bridge which has served me very well. Any suggestions?

can you overclock your curent rig more then wait to see if intel or amd puts out anything worthwhill

I mostly use the machine for gaming but also sometimes use it for computational engineering / numerical analysis software. There have been times, although rare, when the computer gets bogged down.

I was looking at Haswell-E, Broadwell-E, and Skylake. The 6700K is almost the same price as the 5820K. The 6800K is not far off in price.

Is any of the stuff you're doing heavily threaded? If so, then going with a 5820k/5930k/68x0k would be my suggestion. The next round of Intel releases will be re-spins of existing architectures focused on power savings, so you're in an ok spot to upgrade imho. It might be worth seeing what AMD's Zen stuff looks like just from the cost/performance standpoint, but I think we all know it's not going to magically outclass the higher end Intel gear out of the gate, let alone OC'ed.

If I were gonna drop trou right this instant for a whole new platform I think I'd probably just go with a 6800k since I don't mess with multi-GPU much anymore.

I'm in the same situation as the OP, except my mobo is failing, which is the only constraint. I just can't find a compelling argument to do broadwell over haswell or the other way around. It seems like such a mediocre time to be upgrading

my haswell has been delided , lapped ISH , about 10 -12 c cooler at idle and load. can do 4.9 ghz in games with a kraken x61 , H110

about to sell it and upgrade it to skylake. PM if interested

I'm in the same situation as the OP, except my mobo is failing, which is the only constraint. I just can't find a compelling argument to do broadwell over haswell or the other way around. It seems like such a mediocre time to be upgrading

i have upgraded from a 2500k to a 4790k and the difference was big for me. Also emulation like dolphin run so much better on haswell and 10% better on skylake.
also i have used a 3790k and can tell you that the i7 just feels overall snappier in windows and games for me when i had all these processors overclocked to 4.7-4.8 daily use.

Back