Upgrade/Side grade assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarsusTG

2[H]4U
So this thread is mostly going to be a carbon copy of this thread. I am giving most of my sig rig to my brother because he needs a computer and I am running into limitations with it. Or at least I have the upgrade itch and am using that to justify upgrading to myself hehe.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Light gaming, and really rarely. No MMO's or anything like that outside of the very occasional Diablo3. Most of my games are still Sins of a solar Empire series and 4x type games. But really I just don't have the time for gaming anymore.

VM's. This is the biggest of my system killers right now. Some of my school work requires linux, some requires windows. I have a server 2012 vm I run and do testing on as well. It's become increasingly common for me to have 2-3 vm's running at the same time. I have 7 vm's in my regular/weekly use library.

I do a lot of multi tasking often with multiple (often 15+) tabs open. It's very common for me to be using more than 14gb of my 16gb of ram.

I am starting to get into coding. I am taking classes at the university and will be spending a few years delving into c/c++ and most likely java. This will no doubt add to the list. It's been 16 years since I touched c++ but compiling was memory intensive back then. I wouldn't believe it to be less so now.

I still do a lot of ripping of video's. I refuse to carry around 4-5 5" dvd binders anymore and re-purchase movies that get scratched after after being loaned out/etc so I rip every movie /video that hits my desk.

I am going to get back into folding for 33. Now that I am living in a place where electricity isn't 23c+/ kwh I feel comfortable doing that.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Soft budget $1200. Willing to go to $1400 or so shipped. I have amazon prime and several Fry's electronics near me.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Dallas/Fort Worth 76051

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

New SSD (I have several large physical Hard drives with the vm's and such.)
Power Supply. Currently have a 850 Corsair Gold I can keep, but would need a replacement to give my brother.
CPU/Mobo
Video Card (currently have a gtx960 2gb but it's pushing 2 4k monitors would like to give to him and maybe get a 1070 but not dead set on it.)
Ram
Good Air cooler or AIO, not picky.
cheap atx case to move sig rig into (prolly best to get locally Fry's to avoid shipping)

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Older version of this Corsair 850x
Monitors (2x4k)
2xbr blue ray burners, will split them up, one in each rig.
2x3tb hdd, 3x2tb hdd, 1x4tb hdd, 256gb ssd to move to sig rig, will need one for my new rig.
Keyboard/Mouse
Case
Speakers
Sata PCIE expansion card

6) Will you be overclocking?

Not likely but who can say how I will feel in a few years.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

2x 28" 3840x2160 Sometimes I run them at 1440 though. Usually I run them at 1440 on windows and 4k on gnome HiDPI.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

By the end of this week, ordering on Saturday at the very latest. I need to have it up and running ready to hand over the sig rig on the 18th so it's a semi hard deadline.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

USB3.0, the more Sata ports the better. I am going to start replacing these drives with a raid 5 array of 4 or 6tb hdd's in the near future.

I do need the video card to be Nvidia for the most part. Not really a Nvidia fanboy so much as I will be most likely setting up dual boot again at some point. I had an R9 280oc before this 960 and there is still nothing but trouble in those waters.

Wifi would be a nice bonus.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

I have an extra windows 10 pro 64 license I already purchased for this build. OEM.

Here is what I have so far from your PCHound and some google fu.
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-5820...8I75820K/dp/B00MMLXIKY?ie=UTF8&tag=pchound-20
I7 6800k
MSI X99A LGA 2011-v3
Corsair Vengeance 4x8gb DDR4
EVGA 600B 600w power supply for sig rig
Mushkin 480GB SSD
Hydro H115i AIO for lulz.

That leaves video card, case for sig rig transfer, maybe more ram but that really should be enough.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back