• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade scenario (older system)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eminence_Front

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 27, 2008
Messages
119
I just dug an old workstation system out of the closet, and am in the process of setting up a lab for Cisco UC 8 beta.

I'd like to upgrade the CPU in this box, which I "think" is possible, but I need some enthusiasts help as the HP forums, and their support has not been helpful.


System is an HP XW4200 Workstation.

Current config

P4 EE 3.4 LGA775
intel 925x Chipset
2GB DDR2 RAM
PCI Express x16
800mhz FSB



What I am curious about, is if this will support upgrading to a multi-core chip ?

Same socket, and I think the 925x Chipset will support the CPU, the only issue may be
1.) no current bios updates available
2.) voltage regulator(s) may not support the power draw of the newer CPUs.




In any case I can use it as is. But I am going to run a newer Windows Server OS on the box to run VMs, and I think the extra cores would provide me a better lab experience.


Any comments / suggestions are welcome.
 
If you live next to a Fry's Electronics, grab a e1400 and MSI motherboard and use that for the new computer (35AR)
 
Many thanks guys.


I went ahead and loaded up my Ubuntu and VM images and we're good to go.

I think perhaps I'll rip the guts out of my old gaming box, and perhaps just do a barebones system or something.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top