Upgrade router or get range extender

SphincterBoy

Limp Gawd
I've been using the Netgear N600 for four years, but I need to improve wireless coverage across the entire house. The router is located on the first floor in one corner of the house and cannot be relocated. I would say it covers half of the house adequately.

The current setup is a wired connection to my PC and wireless connections made by two laptops, two iPads, four phones, and two Blu-Ray players. Though just a few of those at any given time. The only ac device is my phone.

Should I look into upgrading the router to one with better range or should I get a range extender or wireless access points?

There are many factors. It depends on what your house is made out of. What the walls of the room the router is in is made out of. What kind of electronic interference there is. Obviously having the router in the center of the house is ideal. Is this not possible because you don't know how to do it? Or does a landlord say you can't run any wires?

We can't tell you what router to buy or if it will be any better because of these factors.

Can you get a 30 ft cat5 cable and temporary move the router in the middle of the house and see if the wi fi coverage is better?

deploy a unifi ap's around your place!

I got full coverage around my place. best investment I have done ever!

My old router, a DLink gaming 4300 or something, was working fine, but I did have really bad wifi signal throughout the house, but thought it was normal. I decided on a whim to buy a new router from bestbuy, (only electronics store within 400 miles), so I could take it back if the performance was the same or worse. We have a large house in my opinion, like 3500 square feet. The house is long, and the router sits in the basement at one end. I initially bought an Asus AC66 unit (exchanged it for the AC68 after it came out), and put it in the same spot. Wow, it was a huge difference. We get nearly full strength in the boys bedroom on the upper floor at the opposite end of the house. We even get good wifi signal in the park across the street. I was just stunned. I thought the DLink gaming router was good, but it was not. I am glad I at least tried out a new router before getting crazy with repeaters and extenders and stuff.
Obviously your situation is probably different and your results will be different. But it doesn't hurt to try one out if you can. Like borrow one or purchase one locally to see if it is any different...

I just got a WRT1900AC and I can now get a good WiFi signal everywhere on my lawn and three houses away if I walk down the road. I bought it only because I was losing signal when I was outside doing yard work with my previous AC router. A new router can make a huge difference in range.

Back